PDA

View Full Version : cutting strips of gold fill sheet - guillotine?

rachdee
31-01-2018, 11:22 AM
Hi - i need to cut 0.8 gold fill sheet into strips of 3mm, 4mm and 5mm. I will be needing these on a regular basis so I don't fancy hand-sawing them. I was wondering whether the heavy duty guillotine (product code 997 178A) would do the job. Unable to link directly to product.

Or the other option I thought of was the Dremel Moto saw

Has anyone had experience with either of these please?

Goldsmith
31-01-2018, 12:07 PM
Check out this guillotine, as it shouldn't bend the sheet as the one you suggested will. ; http://www.warco.co.uk/sheet-metal-fabrication-machinery-metalwork/303009-bench-guillotine-shear-cut-sheet-metal.html

mizgeorge
31-01-2018, 12:09 PM
I use a bench shear (though my Warco was a fraction of the price of the Cookson one) with fairly good results - but it's really a two man job to ensure the sort of widths you're looking at.

Forget the moto saw - it's a complete waste of time and money.

Can I ask where you managed to find gold filled sheet in the UK?

rachdee
31-01-2018, 02:57 PM
thanks Goldsmith and mizgeorge - the Warco one looks good. mizgeorge - will it be difficult to get thin strips? Found some goldfill sheet at Rashbels but I order regularly from Rio in the US so mostly get it from there.

pearlescence
31-01-2018, 03:28 PM
Be careful getting metal from the USA to ensure it does not contain nickel and other prohibited metals (prohibited for as long as we are in the EU anyway) America still includes them in jewellery and itches

rachdee
31-01-2018, 03:57 PM
hi pearlescence - Rio's g/fill does say that it complies with EU regs. I know that some of the gold vermeil however does contain nickel which is a shame