PDA

View Full Version : Making a bezel setting punch

misspond
23-01-2018, 07:23 PM
If I were to make a bezel setting punch from a steel nail punch, would I be able to cut off the tip (with a cutting wheel) drill and burr it using my generic flex-shaft (high speed, low torque)?
I've read all the instructions and watched all the YouTube and that's the one question I still have.

Dennis
23-01-2018, 10:07 PM
I presume that you are talking about grindinding off the hollow end and giving it a flatter shape?
Ideally you would use the grinding wheel of a bench grinder, which could also be used to shape it.

However, you might consider a piece of 5mm round brass rod (found on line), which is more easily shaped by sawing, hammering and filing, and will be much kinder to your bezels when used.

Whats over can be used for a bezel pusher, mounted in a handle. Dennis.

misspond
23-01-2018, 11:16 PM
No, I'm thinking about making a bezel punch/rounding tool from a steel nail punch, to run around a tube setting (I know I need to be able to set a stone in a tube setting by using just a burnisher but I'd like to have a go at making a punch. Just to try it).

ps_bond
24-01-2018, 07:41 AM
A jewellers saw will happily cut a nail. As I've mentioned elsewhere on here, I use 2/0 & 4/0 blades on 5mm steel (and wrought iron now too).
I prefer hardened steels for punches and nails - unless they're concrete nails, which won't cut readily with a saw - tend to be mild steel.

misspond
24-01-2018, 08:42 AM
A jewellers saw will happily cut a nail. As I've mentioned elsewhere on here, I use 2/0 & 4/0 blades on 5mm steel (and wrought iron now too).
I prefer hardened steels for punches and nails - unless they're concrete nails, which won't cut readily with a saw - tend to be mild steel.

Thank you, I'll bear that in mind.

Dennis
24-01-2018, 08:55 AM
From your reply, I thought maybe you meant one of these, below. A link to the video you were following would be helpful. Dennis.

Goldsmith
24-01-2018, 09:07 AM
I use silver steel rods to make my punches, this company sells 13 inch lengths of most diameters a quite a cheap price, good for making punches or for use shaping jump rings. The benefit of using silver steel is that it can be hardened and tempered easily using a gas soldering torch, see; https://www.ekpsupplies.com/silversteel.html

James

misspond
24-01-2018, 06:06 PM
From your reply, I thought maybe you meant one of these, below. A link to the video you were following would be helpful. Dennis.

This is what I'm hankering to make Dennis http://hansmeevis.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/punch-setting-round-stones.html?m=1

I've got a nail punch as shown here 10871 and I guess now all I have to do is get on with it.

misspond
24-01-2018, 06:07 PM
I use silver steel rods to make my punches, this company sells 13 inch lengths of most diameters a quite a cheap price, good for making punches or for use shaping jump rings. The benefit of using silver steel is that it can be hardened and tempered easily using a gas soldering torch, see; https://www.ekpsupplies.com/silversteel.html

James

Thank you James, I'll take a look at buying some steel rod sometime, but for the moment I'm on a self-employed mission to only use what I have to hand for the next two months.

Dennis
24-01-2018, 06:20 PM
This is what I'm hankering to make Dennis http://hansmeevis.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/punch-setting-round-stones.html?m=1

I've got a nail punch as shown here 10871 and I guess now all I have to do is get on with it.

Yes you will note that this is what the items in my set will do, but I am averse to hammers, so I only use then with their handle, by wriggling and turning, to improve the roundness of the finish.

You will note from the tutorial, that after heating to orange the punches are soft enough to work with burrs and saw blades.

He also finishes by saying that he only uses this methot where the stones can easily be replaced. Dennis.

misspond
24-01-2018, 07:50 PM
Yes you will note that this is what the items in my set will do, but I am averse to hammers, so I only use then with their handle, by wriggling and turning, to improve the roundness of the finish.

You will note from the tutorial, that after heating to orange the punches are soft enough to work with burrs and saw blades.

He also finishes by saying that he only uses this methot where the stones can easily be replaced. Dennis.

Yes, my main question was really about whether my generic flex-shaft (bought from Argos last year) would be up to the job as I see so many comments about them not having a high enough torque and too high a speed to be useful for a lot of jobs. But as I say, I'm just playing really - and as I said in my post about the recent pendant I made I don't have a lot of time to put into this, but what I have discovered is that trying something new each time I get time inspires me to make the next thing or to then go back and develop something a bit further. I'm under no pressure due to only making things for myself (other than the odd gift here and there) but obviously want to do the best job I can. No point in having an obsession if I can't push myself.

enigma
24-01-2018, 10:30 PM
I have a set and don't use them, couldn't really get on with them.
Hans used to be a member here actually, I like his blog :)

misspond
25-01-2018, 07:30 AM
I have a set and don't use them, couldn't really get on with them.
Hans used to be a member here actually, I like his blog :)

I like his blog too. And I want to make one to see if I can set a stone with one or not - I figured it was best to do that than spend a lot of money on a set I might never use :)

enigma
25-01-2018, 09:47 AM
I got my set as a christmas present, I may go and dig them out now Ive read that actually as I have some tube settings to do....

theresa
25-01-2018, 02:17 PM
No, I'm thinking about making a bezel punch/rounding tool from a steel nail punch, to run around a tube setting (I know I need to be able to set a stone in a tube setting by using just a burnisher but I'd like to have a go at making a punch. Just to try it).

I made one using a nail. I banged the pointed end into a dowel and cut off the head which I then ground down and polished. You can also make one using brass rod. Forge one end flat, cut a V and file and polish. Great for going round the inner rim to burnish it. I found it on youtube. If I come across it again i'll post the link.

misspond
25-01-2018, 02:56 PM
I made one using a nail. I banged the pointed end into a dowel and cut off the head which I then ground down and polished. You can also make one using brass rod. Forge one end flat, cut a V and file and polish. Great for going round the inner rim to burnish it. I found it on youtube. If I come across it again i'll post the link.

Thanks Theresa, I bought some brass rod before Xmas and do you think I can find it?

theresa
27-01-2018, 09:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNunMfMI-rM
These are very useful tools

misspond
27-01-2018, 11:00 AM
Thank you Theresa.