PDA

View Full Version : Gold

panner
23-01-2018, 02:47 PM
Hi all
My name is Alan Riddell just joind today. I was thinking of trying to make a gold quaich from gold.i have 100gms of 22 K gold.can anyone help how to take it down to 18K .and how much alloys to use
Many thanks
Alan

handmadeblanks
23-01-2018, 07:48 PM
Hi all
My name is Alan Riddell just joind today. I was thinking of trying to make a gold quaich from gold.i have 100gms of 22 K gold.can anyone help how to take it down to 18K .and how much alloys to use
Many thanks
Alan

Hi,

By my calculations you need to add 22.2g of other metals to turn what you have into 18K gold. The total weight would therefore be 122.2g

According to what I have read, to make yellow gold, you would add equal amounts of silver and copper. So you would add 11.1g of 999.9 silver, and 11.1g of 999.9 copper.

But, I am very far from an expert! I enjoy doing the maths :)

ps_bond
24-01-2018, 07:49 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a gold quaich - gold plated silver, but not gold.
Part of the reason would be the cost of the things... You are aware that 100g of 22ct is worth at least £2.5k as scrap?

panner
24-01-2018, 02:08 PM
Hi bond
the gold that I have is Scottish. panned it myself over many years hard work. The value of the gold is quite high, but the cost to me I suppose is the petrol cost to different burns all over Scotland. Think my biggest problem will be trying to form the bowl .I have made a few rings over the years, but nothing as complicated as a Quaich. any advice would be appreciated .may be quite unique .
many thanks
panner

-Sally-
24-01-2018, 06:19 PM
Hello Alan
Welcome to the forum.
I'm afraid I can't help you with your questions :(
Are you planning to do a dry run in copper or other base metal first?
Sally