PDA

View Full Version : Please can we have a thanks button ?

josef1
18-01-2018, 10:08 AM
I have use other forums and they have a 'thanks' button and think its a great idea. I have read loads of on this forum where I think it would be nice to acknowledge what has been posted. I also think if your posting information its nice to get a bit of positive feedback and it encourages you to post more. I know people will reply saying thanks which is brilliant but not everyone likes to reply. Im sure you can add it to this type of forum we just need to get Cooksons on board !! What do others think is it worth doing or is there a reason why we don't have it ?

ps_bond
18-01-2018, 10:14 AM
Is it an add-on on 3D CAD or is it a built-in to vBulletin?

china
18-01-2018, 11:01 AM
Doesn't bother me either way, I am on woodwork forum in Australia that has these features and it uses vBulletin

josef1
18-01-2018, 11:24 AM
Is it an add-on on 3D CAD or is it a built-in to vBulletin?

I will have a look tonight

mizgeorge
18-01-2018, 12:28 PM
Please could we not. Because the next thing will be a 'like' button, and then we'll all start just start talking about ourselves rather than to each other, and then we might just as as well be on Facebook. It takes seconds to say 'thank you', or more, in a post, and often the subsequent questions (and their answers) can be even more helpful than the first.

I know I'm a bit of a dinosaur on this subject, but one of the best things about the forum format is that it encourages real conversation rather than just button clicking and smiley faces, and for so many of us that work in what is essentially a pretty solitary environment, it's almost like having colleagues around when we want them.

handmadeblanks
18-01-2018, 01:20 PM
Please could we not. Because the next thing will be a 'like' button, and then we'll all start just start talking about ourselves rather than to each other, and then we might just as as well be on Facebook. It takes seconds to say 'thank you', or more, in a post, and often the subsequent questions (and their answers) can be even more helpful than the first.

I know I'm a bit of a dinosaur on this subject, but one of the best things about the forum format is that it encourages real conversation rather than just button clicking and smiley faces, and for so many of us that work in what is essentially a pretty solitary environment, it's almost like having colleagues around when we want them.

Hi, I don't like to disagree with you, but I disagree to some degree.

I think it is good if the OP writes a thank you, but having a 'like' or 'thank you' button allows other readers to say thanks without adding clutter to a thread. IMHO, there is nothing worse than seeing a large number of replies to a thread thinking an interesting debate is going on only to find out that the majority of them are nothing more than thanks.

Also, it allows saying 'thanks' to many people in a thread, without adding clutter.

Finally, it avoids the situation where you write a general thanks to everyone who replied and then someone else adds something useful. They either get a personalised thanks or get ignored.

I vote in favour of a 'Thanks' or "Like" option.:Y:

CJ57
18-01-2018, 01:40 PM
I'm with you George. Fb is a necessary evil for me as it links to the Open Studio. I detest the like button especially when you send your close friends best wishes and they can't even be bothered to do more than like. It's lazy and contributes to people being unable to communicate with one another unless it's in 3 word sentences, is that even a sentence?
There have been occasions that I wanted a like button here because I agreed with something someone had advised, now I just add my agreement or keep quiet

handmadeblanks
18-01-2018, 02:05 PM
I'm with you George. Fb is a necessary evil for me as it links to the Open Studio. I detest the like button especially when you send your close friends best wishes and they can't even be bothered to do more than like. It's lazy and contributes to people being unable to communicate with one another unless it's in 3 word sentences, is that even a sentence?
There have been occasions that I wanted a like button here because I agreed with something someone had advised, now I just add my agreement or keep quiet

Not sure why you consider keeping quiet preferable to clicking a like or thank you button? I thought the argument is a 'like' button discourages discourse but you are making a choice to engage or not even without the option.

If you 'liked' someones post it would add credibility to it. Staying quiet makes it impossible to gauge how you feel about it. Same applies to other respected posters like Dennis, Goldsmith and Enigma to name a few.

enigma
18-01-2018, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the compliment handmadeblanks although I certainly don't feel I am worthy of being put in the same category as Dennis and James :o

As per the discussion, I think I agree with George , I don't know whether it would add or take away anything but I do find it a bit sad if people can't just write a thank you and need a button for it LOL
Certainly its true that it can open up more conversation though when somebody posts to say thank you for information given.
Its probably been noticed that people not saying thank you for information freely and generously given is a bit of a bugbear of mine ;)

CJ57
18-01-2018, 03:05 PM
Not sure why you consider keeping quiet preferable to clicking a like or thank you button? I thought the argument is a 'like' button discourages discourse but you are making a choice to engage or not even without the option.

If you 'liked' someones post it would add credibility to it. Staying quiet makes it impossible to gauge how you feel about it. Same applies to other respected posters like Dennis, Goldsmith and Enigma to name a few.

Sometimes sadly I just don't have the energy to reply in full. I often agree with someone but sometimes I have felt in that moment I wished there was a like button, it doesn't mean I want one because as I said I think it's a lazy option and my biggest Fb hate. I also think there is little point in just saying I agree, I don't that's enough letter for a post to be accepted, it then means that you have to repeat what the person you're agreeing with has already said. If say Dennis has said something and there is no further post then it suggests to methere is nothing to be added not that there is no interest in the post.

CJ57
18-01-2018, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the compliment handmadeblanks although I certainly don't feel I am worthy of being put in the same category as Dennis and James :o

As per the discussion, I think I agree with George , I don't know whether it would add or take away anything but I do find it a bit sad if people can't just write a thank you and need a button for it LOL
Certainly its true that it can open up more conversation though when somebody posts to say thank you for information given.
Its probably been noticed that people not saying thank you for information freely and generously given is a bit of a bugbear of mine ;)

There is the added point to that if someone takes the bother to say thank you and explain why it was useful then that's also of use to anyone offering advice. It wouldn't be the first time recently that we've been told we just don't understand the question!

josef1
18-01-2018, 03:13 PM
I get the feeling a thanks button is not a popular idea!! It was only a thought I was talking to another member and the subject came up it. Sometimes people post things and dont get anything back, which leaves them wondering is it relevant, should I bother ,am I wasting my time . I just thought it was a way of encouraging more people to get involved thats all.

enigma
18-01-2018, 03:27 PM
Thats a fair point Josef and I often wonder why there is so little participation, maybe Im missing all the excitement over on FB or something lol

joella
18-01-2018, 04:43 PM
I understand josef’s point, and it’s good to come up with ideas to widen participation, but for me the ‘like’ is part of the white noise that I dislike so much on fb.
I think there is certainly evidence of much more in depth and detailed answers to questions on this forum than on fb. I’d hate to loose all the invaluable advice, help and huge depth of knowledge that the wonderful folk on this forum so generously provide. If the forum became more like a fb page, then how long before it actually became a fb page? Along with the loss of all that support and info. I think fb is having a moment with people, but ultimately its all about instant responses, that can often add nothing or be completely off topic.
Talking of off topic, my kids (both in their 20s) have mostly deserted fb -along with their friends, and moved on to snapchat instead.
Also, no matter whether it’s real or not, I feel a certain familiarity with regulars on this forum, which you just wouldn’t get from fb likes.

Dennis
18-01-2018, 04:45 PM
Not Facebook, but here is part of an email from EBay, which shows the depths which online responses can plumb:

'How did you like your tapwashers pack of three?'

Could I reply that I haven't slept or eaten since they arrived and I intend to spend the rest of my life with them?

CJ57
18-01-2018, 04:58 PM
Not Facebook, but here is part of an email from EBay, which shows the depths which online responses can plumb:

'How did you like your tapwashers pack of three?'

Could I reply that I haven't slept or eaten since they arrived and I intend to spend the rest of my life with them?

I feel the same way about the eye drops I bought from Amazon, how do you rate them stars one to five. They are eye drops for heavens sake! There wasn't really anything of use to describe the alum powder.

handmadeblanks
18-01-2018, 05:30 PM
This is my final 2¢ on the subject.

So far, most of the replies appear to revolve around: Cooksongold Forum Vs Facebook.

I hate Facebook and don't use it. I do however use other forums and I don't see any evidence whatsoever that 'Like' buttons have impacted negatively on discussions. There is plenty of lively discussion, everyday, continuously, much more than here.

joella
18-01-2018, 05:47 PM
Hi handmadeblanks
Just wondering if you have any views on what it is about the other forums you use, that is making them more active than this one currently is, and if you think there is anything else we could do on here to reinvigorate it, I dont think any of us would object to anything that would help, including like button.

enigma
18-01-2018, 06:38 PM
Haha Dennis, yes you should write that :rofl:

I think FB is for arguing on isn't it? ;)
My son is 18 and neither he nor any of his friends use it either so its likely social media will keep evolving I guess.

Yes , please do share any tips you can think of, Handmadeblanks, it would definitely be nice to have a more lively forum.

china
19-01-2018, 04:18 AM
I said above that is does not bother me either way and is true, however I have never used either the thanks buttons or the like buttons i think it must be a generational thing,
I was at 50th birthday party some time ago two about 15 years old girls were sitting next to each other and you guessed it they were texting each other

Snorkmaiden
19-01-2018, 09:41 AM
Interesting thread. I came from being a facebook user first to this - my one and only forum.

As a platform I don't find the forum easy to use - uploading photos, finding posts, posting quotes - they still give me difficulty.

As a source of info the forum is very useful, but it isn't social media.

I have wanted to find a 'thanks' of 'like' button occasionally when I didn't have anything to add to a thread but wanted to acknowledge it some way. There is a danger that a 'like' button will only be used for mates - which isolates newcomers - but this can also be true of forum posts.

Could give it a trial run and see.