PDA

View Full Version : Pitted ball

JewelleryByMandy
14-01-2018, 11:08 AM
I had a play with this yesterday and love it apart from the little pitts.
Is this something to do with the rapid heating or something? I think i need to invest in a decent torch that i can control

Thanks
Mandy

Dennis
14-01-2018, 01:32 PM
Did youn use flux and partially close off the air?

JewelleryByMandy
14-01-2018, 06:17 PM
Did youn use flux and partially close off the air?

I used abit of flux but my torch doesnt have a control. Its a cannister with a screw top torch head on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dennis
14-01-2018, 08:46 PM
I presume that is just a finger ring, so a re-fillable hand held mini torch woul give you more control, as the flame can be changed from roaring to soft.
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/524190275/butane-gas-torch-blowtourch?gpla=1&gao=1&utm_campaign=shopping_uk_en_gb_SGMTools_sfc_osa&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_custom1=0&utm_content=12120621&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInfzq76jY2AIVCrHtCh3Haw-lEAQYASABEgJI1fD_BwE
To make a silver ball, scoop out a shallow depression in a soldering block and melt bits of scrap silver in it using borax or liquid jewellers flux.
To clean it put it in a pickle solution, which can be white vinegar, or a warm solution of alum.

JewelleryByMandy
14-01-2018, 09:02 PM
I presume that is just a finger ring, so a re-fillable hand held mini torch woul give you more control, as the flame can be changed from roaring to soft.
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/524190275/butane-gas-torch-blowtourch?gpla=1&gao=1&utm_campaign=shopping_uk_en_gb_SGMTools_sfc_osa&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_custom1=0&utm_content=12120621&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInfzq76jY2AIVCrHtCh3Haw-lEAQYASABEgJI1fD_BwE
To make a silver ball, scoop out a shallow depression in a soldering block and melt bits of scrap silver in it using borax or liquid jewellers flux.
To clean it put it in a pickle solution, which can be white vinegar, or a warm solution of alum.

JewelleryByMandy
14-01-2018, 09:04 PM
That’s everything that i did. Was just wondering how those little holes appeared.
Thanks

china
15-01-2018, 03:40 AM
You may have simply used too much heat this can cause (for want of a better word) a boiling effect leaving little holes in the item