PDA

View Full Version : Durability testing for handmade jewellery

rixy
17-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Hi,

I have recently started selling my jewellery pieces, am relatively new to actually selling my pieces and learning on the job so to speak.

I am a true perfectionist and want to my jewellery to be of a high quality and I want my pieces to last and be durable. I am looking for any tips on how people test for durability once thay have made a piece to ensure this.

I want something simple but cost effective when making numerouse pieces at a time.

Any advice would be great, thanks

Solunar Silver Studio
17-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Hi Rixy :~: and welcome to the forum!! I make fine silver chains and so I repeat the same range of designs over and over. I always try out a new design by wearing it to death. I am a very hands on practical person so my jewellery really goes through it as I never take it off!! If it survives my treatment of it over a period of weeks then that design becomes part of my range! Obviously you can't do that with 'one offs'.....so I guess a bit of strategic pulling and twisting is the best you can do - especially if you have a lot to check! But if you are a perfectionist you will know as you are working if there is any area that might be a problem! Just don't get too bogged down with it....most people care for their jewellery - not too many will try to tow a truck with it!!:-D

Di Sandland
17-09-2009, 10:27 AM
judicious pulling and twisting - just as Barbara said.

Di Sandland
17-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Riksy - just to let you know that I deleted your other post as it was a duplicate (it doesn't take too much to confuse us before we've topped up with caffeine)

bustagasket
17-09-2009, 11:07 AM
welcome to the forums rixy, think you have your answer from those in the know already :D:~:

rixy
17-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks guys for your prompt replies,

When you're new to things you always think things are a lot more technical than just common sense.
:)

agent_44
17-09-2009, 03:18 PM
The first of a new design generally gets plenty of abuse and wear from me, just to make sure!

Sheltie
17-09-2009, 03:25 PM
I too wear my (male) pices to death. The others are normally from a very old design like the Viking Knitting, I even keep a piece of this and ask prospect customers to try and break it (to date none have)I also give a lifetime guarentee with all my pieces. If they break or fail they will be replaced/repaired at no extra cost.

Fiona
29-09-2009, 11:30 PM
I'm a puller and twister as well :dance:

Jayne
30-09-2009, 08:22 AM
I'm a wearer to deather......all day, all night, in gym, kitchen , shower, garden etc.. If it lasts a month of that I think it's okay.
Sometimes I need to 'weartest' more than one piece at a time, so this is when I approach someone who has bought my stuff before and ask them to do it for me. This usually creates some sort of excitement and by the time the month is out I will have several orders for that piece as the result of the weartester's free publicity ;)

J x

Solunar Silver Studio
30-09-2009, 09:20 AM
Now that is clever!! I wear the whole lot myself and tend to look like a black market spiv!!:-D

agent_44
30-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Tee hee! Do you have a trench coat that you pin your lovely chains inside to flash at potential customers too? ;)

LaVidalerie
24-07-2010, 09:09 AM
Like Jayne - I wear new designs , in bed, in the shower etc, I've heard that having a toddler is the best test, if they can hang on it and they will ......

lesley
24-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Very clever, Jayne - testing and advertising in one. ;)

Like others, I'm a puller and a twister. I did kneel on a pair of earrings the other day and they survived..........but I don't think I'd recommend it.

Dennis
24-07-2010, 10:11 AM
People with toddlers quickly learn not to wear dangly earrings if they don't want to have a ripped ear.

lesley
24-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Sounds like the voice of experience. You sticking with dainty studs now, Dennis? :D

caroleallen
24-07-2010, 12:53 PM
I once found a stud sticking right into the sole of my shoe and amazingly it survived!

Petal
24-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Good grief Carole, what size stud was that then, 1.0mm ???

Petal
24-07-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm a wearer to deather......all day, all night, in gym, kitchen , shower, garden etc.. If it lasts a month of that I think it's okay.
Sometimes I need to 'weartest' more than one piece at a time, so this is when I approach someone who has bought my stuff before and ask them to do it for me. This usually creates some sort of excitement and by the time the month is out I will have several orders for that piece as the result of the weartester's free publicity ;)

J x

I certainly weartest my jewellery before it goes on sale, but like your weartester idea Jayne and think I shall adopt that one for some 'free advertising'.

Dennis
24-07-2010, 04:15 PM
I once found a stud sticking right into the sole of my shoe and amazingly it survived!

That's not dainty studs, it's dainty feet.

Dennis
24-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Sounds like the voice of experience. You sticking with dainty studs now, Dennis? :D

No, my family don't like me cross dressing.

Ruby123
30-11-2010, 07:44 AM
No, my family don't like me cross dressing.

Gotta love someone with a sense of humor :)

Dennis
30-11-2010, 09:01 AM
Testing Chains.
I have said this somewhere before, but chains are often made abroad and can be quite weak. So before you buy too many I would do a low tech test with a known weight.
Fill a carrier bag with bags of sugar, flour and so on, to a weight of say six kilos. Put a chain through the handle, do it up and lift off the ground. This is about the pull a toddler might give it and you'd be surprised how many chains will break . Ball chains are a big culprit. Dennis.

thomas520
06-12-2010, 08:27 AM
so clever As others, I'm a puller and a twister. I did kneel on a pair of earrings the other day and they survived..........but I don't think I'd recommend it.