PDA

View Full Version : Ear Ear Ear.

Dennis
18-12-2017, 09:23 AM
The summer seems a long time ago now, but a show and tell by our member misspond in July lead me to try making some ear cuffs too. http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8854.

They have attracted interest from a variety of age groups, to augment earrings in the party season, or simply from aged wannabe goths.

A good selection can be found online. But once my recipients have been able to road test them, I might make more variations of the successful ones.
Here’s hoping they are not lost at the first outing.

Argentium silver, gold decorations and Argentium tube set CZs.
Formed around a Sharpie, the mandrel of choice for ear cuff crafters and displayed on a polymorph ear. Dennis.

enigma
18-12-2017, 10:57 AM
Those are rather lovely Dennis!

china
18-12-2017, 12:05 PM
Interesting and very timely Dennis, a friend's daughter has requested similar to pic two (I have to run it by Mum first) believe it or not I have never made a ear cuff before, I wish to set it with a small opal cabochon
do you think 1 mm Argentium would be too heavy i.e. uncomfortable to wear

Happy to here any opinion from those who worked with these items

joella
18-12-2017, 01:48 PM
Ooh, those are lovely Dennis, I keep meaning to have a go, but haven't got round to it yet.
Sue

Dennis
18-12-2017, 09:48 PM
Thank you folks.
Bob, if you are considering a simple cuff like the first one, I think 0.7mm would be better, as it still has to be squeezed to fit the ear. The wire ones were made from 1.2mm round wire hammered to be more oval.
It's also worth using the template to ensure that the decorations will end up in the centre front.

china
19-12-2017, 01:39 AM
Thanks Dennis, I think I knew the answer before I asked, a thick strip would have made setting the opal nice and easy, if it works out I will post a pic

ShinyLauren
20-12-2017, 10:11 PM
These are lovely Dennis and bring back some fond memories. An ear cuff was among the first bits of jewellery I made during a class run by our woodwork teacher in the 6th form. I did a simple silver cuff with a faceted ruby set pointy side up. And when I say 'set' I mean glued in with araldite!

Dennis
21-12-2017, 01:17 AM
Thank you Lauren. the moment of truth will come shortly when I find out whether they are wearable. I got a sore ear trying them on myself.

We never had a woodwork teacher, so I still can' make a proper joint in wood. Dennis.

Maria
22-12-2017, 01:33 AM
Very nice Dennis

Dennis
22-12-2017, 01:20 PM
Thank you Maria.

misspond
31-12-2017, 05:51 PM
They're really lovely Dennis, great work as always.