PDA

View Full Version : Artisan Disc Cutter Disappointment

handmadeblanks
08-12-2017, 12:11 PM
I purchased this Artisan 9 shape assorted cutter. (http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Artisan-Assorted-Shape-Disc-Cutter-9-Shapes-prcode-997-1634&query=Disc%20Cutters&channel=uk)

I'm very happy with it, in particular the heart shape. So I decided to invest in the Artisan-Heart-Shape-Disc-Cutter----Set-4-Sizes-prcode-997-1635 (http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Artisan-Heart-Shape-Disc-Cutter----Set-4-Sizes-prcode-997-1635) so I could make the hearts in larger sizes.

You can't imagine my disappointment when I tested the cutter and found that the hearts are a different shape to the one on the 9 shape cutter! I can't figure out why Artisan would do this? I've searched the web and anything Artisan seems to link back to Cooksongold, so I can only imagine it is a proprietary brand of Cooksongold?

Anyway, I've kept the set, but I am still baffled as to how anyone at Artisan could think it was a good idea to do that.:N:

enigma
08-12-2017, 03:34 PM
I do think the ones on the heart disc cutter are a much nicer shape though :)

Dennis
08-12-2017, 03:47 PM
Well, hearts are hearts, are hearts. They are hardly a niche product and everybody does them. Once you've got them out of your system, you will no doubt move on and your heart cutters will gather dust.

However you might research the RT Blanking system. You don't need the whole gear, just some steel sheet, a jewellers saw, a bench peg and a hammer or vice to operate it. Blanking tools are easily cut out to your own designs, just getting the angle right by eye. Dennis.

josef1
08-12-2017, 04:03 PM
So I guess Jimmy Ruffin now has his answer !!!!!! :dancing:

NickD
08-12-2017, 05:16 PM
So I guess Jimmy Ruffin now has his answer !!!!!! :dancing:

Classic answer. And single! I think they cost about 40 p when that came out !!
"What Becomes of the Brokenhearted ? "

handmadeblanks
09-12-2017, 11:01 PM
I do think the ones on the heart disc cutter are a much nicer shape though :)

I'm glad you think so because it gives me more confidence to use it in my designs.:)