PDA

View Full Version : I have so got to get orgainised

The Dragon
16-09-2009, 10:29 PM
Does this sound familiar?

I have a full time job that can be quite stressful in terms of effort required to keep things working right.

I also have a home to run and everything that that entails (including finishing DIY projects the OH has got bored with).

I have to do the necessary things like sleep, eat, travel etc.

So in my spare time I am trying to put together a collection of jewellery items to lauch my website with ( I was hoping to have it ready for Christmas but I don't think that's going to happen now).

With me so far? - good - the trouble is no matter how hard I try I can't condense my workload enough to allow me enough time to plan everything let alone make it. I find that I'll start working on something, then my mind will wonder off and start thinking about something else I need to do and my hands have stopped working.

As a rule I'm very good at planning and doing several things at once, in my job you have to be but I just can't seem to do it with the jewellery making.

Sorry that was a bit of a long moan wasn't it, guess I'm just feeling a little frustrated at the moment because I want to do too much. :(

Di Sandland
17-09-2009, 12:40 AM
Annie - something's gotta give; for me it's the housework. The dust will still be there tomorrow and the day after that. As Quentin Crisp famously said, after 5 years it doesn't get any thicker ;)

Of course, I really do understand what you're saying; some things just can't be ignored, like whatever it is we do to to earn the money to put food in our mouths and pay the mortgage. It's a tough one and quite often I find myself almost paralysed by the thought of all that has to be done - so that I sit and vegetate in front of daytime telly.

I firmly believe that if you're not to implode you must find a little me time. Perhaps if you stopped finishing his DIY projects you could claw back a little? And, once he learns that you won't pick up after him you might find he finishes those jobs himself ;)

bustagasket
17-09-2009, 06:21 AM
Totally hear where you are coming from Annie. I agree with Di, i scoot round on Saturday mornings to do the basic house work and dusting is definately the last priority.

I am lucky in that i have 2 days off work, although nothing much gets achieved on weds as i now have to do the shopping on that day, and i have to drag an 81 year old round lol and she is getting more confused every week.

I dont have the DIY to contend with cos basically it dont get started in the first place lol. But i am expected to clear the kitchen and do washing etc before i settle to anything i might want to do. As Di suggests, perhaps if you didnt finish it off for him he might eventually get the hint that he should do it?

Fridays are a little easier as i only have to drop the dragon round the corner to her friend and then the day is basically my own (after the kitchen and washing lol)

I find it hard to work in the evenings cos my eyes just wont focus, so i tend to stop at 5 (when the dragon comes in for coffee) and then pack everything away.

Thats the worst part for me, having to put everything back into my little tool boxes each time, takes ages to get set up and then just as long to put everything back in its bags and then into the boxes.

So in a little way i can understand your frustration hun, as i too feel i just dont get enough time, but i think there are a good few of us on here who have to play this jugglling act, and cant afford to work on our art full time. Maybe one day :)

Emerald
17-09-2009, 07:46 AM
even though i dont go out to work Annie i totally no where you are coming from , if i did go out to work i know i wouldent be able to do make Jewellery at all. Dusting is very low on my priority list, at the weekends i to scoot round and wash school clothes and work shirts and hope that when they come out of the tumbler they dont need ironing.

There are so many things i need to do today i wanted to finish a bracelet ready for tonight but i know thats not going to happen so i am not even going to try.

Its good to have a moan hope you fell better for it x

MuranoSilver
17-09-2009, 07:48 AM
It's a tough one and quite often I find myself almost paralysed by the thought of all that has to be done - so that I sit and vegetate in front of daytime telly.

I know that feeling, even though I'm a full time maker, so much of it (due to H&Safety and Hubbies sweet shop, with inherent kids being next door) can't be done at the shop. So I get home at 7pm, cook/eat dinner and then start my "job"....i.e. Repair, commissions. If I'm lucky I get an hour or so "play time" when I can work on new ranges and techniques.

Occasionally though I have to have vegetate TV time (normally when I'm at my busiest) which then turns into OMG I haven't done the repair/commission grrr....
I recently learnt a time management trick though.

Do 20 mins of whatever it is before the TV time..put it on a timer, 20 mins isn't that long. After the 20 mins is up you'll find you often want to keep going...sometimes it's just the "starting" that's the problem

Nic xx

bustagasket
17-09-2009, 07:55 AM
even though i dont go out to work Annie i totally no where you are coming from , if i did go out to work i know i wouldent be able to do make Jewellery at all.

Oh now that just wouldnt do at all!! We would miss out too if you didnt make any Jewellery![[]]

Yep even if you are at home all the time, i dont think that that means that you can spend all day every day on jewellery, cos there are so many other things that need to be done. So either way, i think everyone is under pressure to spend the time they would like to working on their projects.

In an ideal world we would just get up and go to our little workrooms or work areas and potter about creating wonderful things all day, everyday, but in the real world, there are families to run around after, kitchens to be cooked in and to be cleared, washing to be done, animals to care for, school runs, etc etc and we still have to fit eating and sleeping in!!

So annie please dont feel alone, we are all right there with you, with the same moans and gripes, but under all those pressures, just look at all the wonderful things that we produce!.

Boo
17-09-2009, 07:56 AM
All these comments are very familiar to me too. I always feel that it doesn't matter how hard I work, it's never enough, there's always something else needs doing.

I've worked from home for over 20 years now and have developed a few tricks to get me through. I try and keep on top of things as I go along, it feels much less stressful than having to cope with a backlog. Things like accounts, paperwork, filing, putting stuff away etc. As things come in the post, I try to deal with them that day and then file them. As I sell or buy, I add it straight on my spreadsheets etc. It really does feel much less of a burden if you keep on top of it - but it takes discipline.

As for housework - I'm not too precious about it and don't have a very tidy home - but again, I try and keep on top of it by aiming to keep tidy as I go along. There are some tasks I do every day in a routine and every day, I try and do one extra larger task too. So one day I'll vacuum or sweep downstairs and mop the floors, another day it might be the ironing. I try and do these things immediately after breakfast, so they're done for the day and I can forget about them. I hate that feeling late in the evening when you know you have to iron or he'll be going to work bare-chested.

I try and keep routine chores away from the weekend so if the weather is kind, we can get out for a walk or something - it's those times that keep me sane - taking the camera out amongst trees and having a picnic lunch and getting some fresh air - we did that last Saturday and it was really enjoyable- and we're hoping to do the same this week.

amazingbabe
17-09-2009, 08:05 AM
:": Am getting better though as my 4 yr old is in pre-school now 3 mornings a week, so i just come straight home and make make make, i leave everything else till later as i can do those stupid house work things when she is with me (she helps)!!! But Nic you are so right, when you actually sit down to do something small you get on a roll!!!:dance:

Petal
17-09-2009, 08:34 AM
:": to all that's been said so far.

I try and get the washing up done before we go to bed, otherwise, when I get up in the morning I'll want to do that, instead of getting on with my beading. When you 'work from home' its a real nightmare keeping everything going, because if you pop downstairs for a cup of tea, there are all your chores looking at you agghhhr:mad:. I, too, try to keep the weekends free because when you do have a weekend, its like having a holiday!

As a carer to an elderly relative, its very difficult because you know that they need help with so many things and there's so little time to fit it all in and sometimes they do the 'I am 85 you know, and I haven't spoken to anyone today' guilt thing.

ATM I feel like I am drowning in a sea of chores and that this selling jewellery in a shop couldn't have come at a worse time - I feel totally disorganised and out of control. As Boo says, its all about discipline and keeping it all going gradually, so that these tasks are small and manageable but doing it is SO difficult.

mmmm at least we all have each other to have a moan, keep positive, and help out with lots of [[]] when needed. Where would we be without our lovely forum!

Jules x

Petal
17-09-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm sorry Annie, I've ranted on far too much about my stuff and not enough about helping you with positive suggestions. I feel for you and hope that some of the things you have read have helped you out a litle bit.

Here's a few tips on how I normally get through a bad patch.

If you are having a bad day jewellery wise, your mind is wandering or you can't get started, choose a small project/thing you have made before and make another one - that helps me get back into the groove and I am usually fine then. If you've tried that and it doesn't work - have a 10 minute break. Go and do something that you know will make you feel better, whatever that is. (I avoid the TV, as that makes me feel worse).
Timing is everything, I have work time and chores time for each day and if I stick to those times, I always feel a lot better at the end of the day.
Thinking and silent time - just sit and think about things for 5 minutes a day - doesn't seem like much time, but give it a go. Meditation - when I do my meditation, I feel so much better. Exercise!

If all else fails, get out the chocolate Annie and have a big internet []:X! from me and know that we all support you.

Love
Julesx

Boo
17-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Thinking and silent time - just sit and think about things for 5 minutes a day
I do good thinking and sorting the work day ahead out in my head doing the washing up, especially after breakfast. I've never had a dishwasher and wouldn't want one - I find the break to wash pots is a useful buffer between work tasks and I have my best ideas washing up and in the shower. There's something about hot soapy water. I can equally easily do it without thinking a single thing.

I try and go out for a walk each day - working at home I don't go out much unless I make myself do so - and it's always hard to motivate myself to go, especially in bad weather, but I'm always glad once I get going - even more so once I'm back. I walk for health reasons predominantly after a bad back, but it makes for good thinking time too. Sometimes I just put my walkman on loud and empty my head completely, sometimes I walk quietly and make things in my head to work out the methodology, or work out how I'm going to solve other work issues etc.

I'm looking forward to going today as I saw a dipper in the river on Tuesday and will take the camera today.

Di Sandland
17-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Boo this is sooo what I need to do. Since I started working at home my exercise levels have gone down to zero. Given that my previous work was very active, this has resulted in a weight gain of 3 stone. Even more important than that (for me anyway) is that my brain is just as flabby. Its a good brain but it doesn't get the fresh air and exercise I need.

I find my days at home to be very isolating. I love my own company and going out to work was a way of forcing myself to mix with others, left to my own devices I just hibernate :(

Boo
17-09-2009, 12:07 PM
I know just what you mean. I stay working at home as I'm a little agoraphobic and it takes real effort to make me go out on my own - I find all manner of excuses to put it off.

I'm totally fine with someone else, but finding the courage to open the front door and step out on my own is a real battle every day.

This is why I frequent forums, I wouldn't actually speak to anyone all day most days if I didn't chat virtually.

Talking of which I'm off out now before my lunch. We're going away next weekend for our holiday and I want to get a bit fitter before then so that I can walk at a decent pace with my husband - who is significantly fitter than me. See if my dipper is there today.

Petal
17-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Boo this is sooo what I need to do. Since I started working at home my exercise levels have gone down to zero. Given that my previous work was very active, this has resulted in a weight gain of 3 stone. Even more important than that (for me anyway) is that my brain is just as flabby. Its a good brain but it doesn't get the fresh air and exercise I need.

I find my days at home to be very isolating. I love my own company and going out to work was a way of forcing myself to mix with others, left to my own devices I just hibernate :(

Oh Di, I soo agree with the feeling of isolation too. My brain has gone to jelly and even getting in the garden doing 5 mins weeding helps, but the poor old brain doesn't get any exercise!

Jules xx

bustagasket
17-09-2009, 01:14 PM
omg you guys have me to a tee!! I dont exercise enough - i make all my importatnt decisions in the bath, and i barely speak to anyone either here or at the garage, and my whole existance has become a virtual one.

Boo you sound like you have got it just right, thinking and then walking and then starting on the day, i am gonna have to try to be led by your example!!

I have been running round like a headless chicken today as i had to go into work to do the garage banking, popped into Rye to pay that in, then to sainsburys in St Leonards to get the weekend food and drink for OH and my son, home to check out the camping stuff (reminds me must swap over the washing in a min) then i tackled the biggest job of the day - and i discovered a car under a mountain of dog hair!!!!. OH decided last night that we might not take the renault and so i needed to prepare the mav too in case we use that one.
I am now resting my back for an hour before i cellophane and ribbon the 20 candles that i had the order for that will be delivered at the show, and then i can pack a bag of clothes for myself for the weekend.

I think i will just about be done then so if poss i will spend a little time on my seed bracelet.

You guys are such an inspiration to me in so many ways, [[]] I would be very lonely indeed without you all.

agent_44
17-09-2009, 03:10 PM
I'm finding since I started working full time from home, everything kind of merges into one and I don't seem to get anything done, plus it's easier to get distracted, or keep working at my day job till silly o'clock without realising. So, although it feels a bit sad, anally retentive and treating myself like a child, I have started writing myself a schedule for the next day each evening, and I have to say, I have been getting a lot more done since I started it!

caroleallen
17-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Boo, you're an inspiration. I wish I could get organised like you. My main problem is that people think as I work at home, it's OK to ring me or visit whenever they like. Though I like to keep in touch, it really eats into my day.
If I was out at work they wouldn't be ringing me.

Di Sandland
17-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Boo, you're an inspiration. I wish I could get organised like you. My main problem is that people think as I work at home, it's OK to ring me or visit whenever they like. Though I like to keep in touch, it really eats into my day.
If I was out at work they wouldn't be ringing me.

Constant source of irritation to me too. The woman across the road will decide to pop over for coffee because she's got a day off! Yeah, but I haven't :(|

fi79
17-09-2009, 07:57 PM
I feel your pain Annie - I basically work on the other side of the country, in Edinburgh. I'm out of the house for 12 hours each day. Between work and sleeping have about 3 hours of "free" time tops to do other stuff including jewellery and of course talk to the OH!!!

At weekends I can't sit down and concentrate until the hoovering is done (hairy dog!) and I need to get the shopping in yada yada yada.

My dream......a nice house in a semi-rural location with a studio for me and a studio for the OH where I could spend my days being creative and making pretty things. Sigh....when will those lottery numbers come up??

The Dragon
17-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Thank you all so much for the support, I feel a good deal better today:dance:

I have taken on-board some of the suggestions made, in fact so far I have achieved the following:

I have told my fellow team leader at work that I need more than 48 hrs notice about what shift I'm working as I can't plan anything.

I have told my OH that as long as he puts the new light fittings up in the bathroom before winter I don't care if it's finished or not (he cut the holes in the ceiling for them and it's a tad draughtly & cold)

I have arranged to put an old laptop downstairs in the living room for my OH and his sister (she lives with us) to use so they can do their thing without having to be in my workroom, that way I can go in straight in from work or whenever I feel like it.

I have just picked up a dvd on basic yoga which I'm going to start doing with a friend from work once a week to relax etc.

And while I'm in such a positive mood I think I'll just finish off a pair of earrings so I can photograph them tmr.

You really are a wonderfull bunch of people [[]] thank you soooo much

bustagasket
17-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Thank you all so much for the support, I feel a good deal better today:dance:

I have taken on-board some of the suggestions made, in fact so far I have achieved the following:

I have told my fellow team leader at work that I need more than 48 hrs notice about what shift I'm working as I can't plan anything.

I have told my OH that as long as he puts the new light fittings up in the bathroom before winter I don't care if it's finished or not (he cut the holes in the ceiling for them and it's a tad draughtly & cold)

I have arranged to put an old laptop downstairs in the living room for my OH and his sister (she lives with us) to use so they can do their thing without having to be in my workroom, that way I can go in straight in from work or whenever I feel like it.

I have just picked up a dvd on basic yoga which I'm going to start doing with a friend from work once a week to relax etc.

And while I'm in such a positive mood I think I'll just finish off a pair of earrings so I can photograph them tmr.

You really are a wonderfull bunch of people [[]] thank you soooo much

Sounds like you are getting good at this organising stuff!!!

mizgeorge
17-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Good for you Annie.

Could you come and organise me when you've got a minute?

Petal
17-09-2009, 10:50 PM
I'm so glad you are feeling better Annie, it makes a huge difference to how our days are when we feel a bit more in control, doesn't it!

Good luck with the Yoga and let us know how you get on.

Yay I can feel a good nights sleep coming on I-)

love []
Jules

Emerald
17-09-2009, 11:51 PM
Oh hello, can you come round here and organise this house pls i try to list like that but something always goes wrong......... oh yeah its me lol:'(

The Dragon
18-09-2009, 06:26 AM
Shell we organise a collective forum 'no' day, (well hour at least! lol). We nominate a day between us and during that day we have one hour where we say 'no' to everything that comes and distrurbs or distracts us and concentrate on something jewellery related, crafting reading etc. We can then drop a quick post on here telling everyone what we've achieved.

I know the chances of us all being able to do that are slim given commitments but it's a nice thought isn't it!:~:

Ah well - off to earn those pennies again.

bustagasket
18-09-2009, 06:30 AM
lol oh thats sounds good lol, just dont do it when the dragon is around please - she really doesnt take kindly to me saying no

Di Sandland
18-09-2009, 07:15 AM
she really doesnt take kindly to me saying no

try doing it once in a while, she'll get used to it then. It works, I promise ;)

Petal
18-09-2009, 08:16 AM
I second that comment from Di. I do now say 'no' to mum in law and its good for both of us!

Jules x

Boo
18-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Boo, you're an inspiration. I wish I could get organised like you.
I don't think I am especially - but having worked from home for nearly 23 years, you have to have sort of systems and routine amongst the chaos or nothing would get done - and striking a balance between what needs to be done, what should be done and what I want to do is a perpetual battle.

So I tend to do the things I have to first, so I'm motivated to work efficiently, so I have more time for doing what I want to. My 'day job' isn't routine in any way and the level of demand fluctuates a great deal, so my days have little formal structure to them if I don't apply some, for my own sanity.