PDA

View Full Version : Texturing metal

Goldsmith
28-11-2017, 12:56 PM
There is a post on The Bench today, by Cooksongold, about texturing metals, it does list some methods of texturing, but does not mention using a hammer head attachment on a pendant drill, a useful tool, good for texturing and also for bezel setting.

This is the link to The Bench article; http://www.cooksongold.com/blog/jewellery-tips/technique-focus-texturing-metal

This photo shows my Faro hammer head attachment with some screw in hammer heads that I have ground to various shapes. Also shown are some textures achieved by using this tool and various heads.

James

-Sally-
29-11-2017, 05:55 PM
That looks really interesting James - have you got a link to a larger photo - I'd like to see the textures and anvil shapes up-close.
Thanks,
Sally

Goldsmith
29-11-2017, 06:46 PM
That looks really interesting James - have you got a link to a larger photo - I'd like to see the textures and anvil shapes up-close.
Thanks,
Sally

Are these any better?

10714 10715 10716

James

-Sally-
29-11-2017, 07:21 PM
Thanks for posting those James. Although I've made my own texture hammers, it never occured to me to create my own anvils (doh!).
Now that you've got me all inspired, I'm going to have a root through my anvils, pick out one I never use and have a go at customising it.
Thank you
Sally

enigma
29-11-2017, 10:39 PM
Thanks for sharing those James, I do texture with the hammer handpiece sometimes but am rather lazy about making new pieces.
What did you use for the rounded one on the bottom right please?

Goldsmith
30-11-2017, 08:49 AM
Thanks for sharing those James, I do texture with the hammer handpiece sometimes but am rather lazy about making new pieces.
What did you use for the rounded one on the bottom right please?

I used the far left hammerhead in the 3rd photo for that texture Sarah, it is just a small domed headed punch.

enigma
30-11-2017, 05:30 PM
Lovely, thank you James !

samsmith1337
14-12-2017, 08:43 PM
Thanks a lot, James