PDA

View Full Version : cut outs

theresa
13-11-2017, 09:48 AM
Hi - I like the idea of cutting out a section behind a pendant but wondered if over time dirt and moisture would get in and spoil the look of the stone. Also, how on earth would you clean and dry it properly? Not something a customer could easily do I expect.

Dennis
13-11-2017, 02:43 PM
I can't think of a good reason either Theresa excpt that it reduces weight and lets a little more light though for tranlucent stones.
Or does it really make much difference?

If they get grotty most wearers bring them back for a professional clean, but that goes for closed back ones too.

So on balance just do what saves you work, If there is a back plate dont bother to cut it out. If there is no back plate, dont bother to add one Dennis.

theresa
16-11-2017, 09:55 AM
I was thinking more of a decorative cut out which can highlight a good stone and is a 'surprise' for the customer. You could probably go mad trying to cover every eventuality to do with the wearing of jewellery.....I always strive to make a piece as well as I can and it's comfortable to wear.
Wallace always makes lovely pieces, and she inspired me really.

Dennis
16-11-2017, 11:22 AM
Yes, surprises are good. You canhave flush set stones, or wire initials on the back.
Wallace is an ace designer. Dennis

theresa
16-11-2017, 02:20 PM
This is what I made