PDA

View Full Version : Not On The High Street Sales

Fusion
16-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Hi

Not On The High Street (http://www.notonthehighstreet.com) looks like a great place to try and sell crafts, plus I done a little traffic check and they seem to bring in plenty of traffic.

I was wondering if anyone here sells through them or any other online shopping site, I really want to know what sort of comission they take if you make a sale?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!

EmmaRose
16-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Traffic doesn't always = sales. Why not email some people on there and see what they think? Etsy is always popular.
Hopefully someone whith more experience with this sites will be along shortly!
Em

kymbi
16-09-2009, 04:36 PM
I think Carole is with NOTHS so she should be able to give you some feedback.

I applied a little while ago and got blown-off by them. Hey ho....

Boo
16-09-2009, 04:39 PM
I think you need to pay quite a chunk up front for NOTHS.

Places like Etsy and folksy are much cheaper if you want to dip your toe in without an initial layout. I don't know where Folksy is up to as I gave up on it, but it was 20p to list there, where Etsy is 20c then 3.5% on your sale. For example, I just sold the earrings in my avatar on Etsy (for $32 + $2 P&P to the US) and it cost me 20c to list them, then $1.12 in sales fee - plus my PayPal fees.

Di Sandland
16-09-2009, 04:44 PM
The trouble with ETsy is, I think, making yourself heard above the other jewellery makers there. To make it work well I think you have to spend quite some time with SEO and stuff.

As for Folksy - well, the name says it really doesn't it. Is your work folksy? To me folksy means home made rather than hand made.

I was given a provisional yes by NOTHS some time ago for the wooden stuff. It would have cost me a fortune that I couldn't afford so I blew them out!!! It'll be a long time before I'm up to that standard with the jewellery :(

caroleallen
16-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Yes NOTHS is a major source of income for me, particularly at Christmas. It doesn't work so well for everyone though and it's important to have really good images. The reason it works so well for me is because I was one of their first "partners" and therefore have always been one of their "superstars". I'm always in their catalogues, so my work gets heavily promoted, though I have to pay for the privilege. If your work is sufficiently different to everyone else's then it's a good place to sell. If not, I wouldn't do it, as it's expensive to join.

EmmaRose
16-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Just out of interest how much are we talking about??
Em

EmmaRose
16-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Oh I have some of those to spare :D
Em

caroleallen
16-09-2009, 08:01 PM
It was £500 when I joined about 3 years ago.

bustagasket
16-09-2009, 08:03 PM
It was £500 when I joined about 3 years ago.

*faints*:N: that would buy me a super dooper workbench!:Y:

caroleallen
16-09-2009, 08:29 PM
It's been well worth it for me but I know some people have been disappointed. I think there's far too much jewellery on there now.

kymbi
16-09-2009, 08:44 PM
When I enquired earlier this year there was a one off £650 joining fee then 23% commission on each item sold or £500 then 27% commission.

They blew me out on the grounds that my jewellery was similar to others they stocked - I felt quite relieved when I realised what the fees would be and saved me a difficult decision.

Fusion
17-09-2009, 08:36 AM
I have been talking about this on another forum and so far this is the info:

I have a shop on NOTHS, have done since April. You have to submit your products, they then either accept or decline you! You then, if chosen, have to pay circa £400-£500 to join and then they take a commission on everything you sell.

and I think the commission is 20% for items sold.

So I guess it's not too bad if you get the sales in?

caroleallen
17-09-2009, 02:57 PM
The £400/500 is a one off payment. You'd soon get your money back though if you were successful. As I said, your products need to be different enough to stand out from everyone else's. I think I do well cos there's no other hand made enamel stuff on there.

agent_44
17-09-2009, 03:04 PM
I suppose it's a large outlay compared to something like Etsy, but then it's a very different type of store to Etsy. And if you are going into business, £500 isn't that much of an investment really. It's one of the sites I have been thinking about for the future, but like Carole says, I have concerns about the amount of jewellery already on there. Also the commission doesn't seem that outrageous to me, if wholesale prices are generally double retail, then it's about half your wholesale discount, so somewhere between the two. True, you aren't selling in Wholesale quantities, but then someone is doing the bulk of the hard work with the website for you.

Maddie106
02-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Hi

Not On The High Street (http://www.notonthehighstreet.com) looks like a great place to try and sell crafts, plus I done a little traffic check and they seem to bring in plenty of traffic.

I was wondering if anyone here sells through them or any other online shopping site, I really want to know what sort of comission they take if you make a sale?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!

I sent in some very original designs to "Not on the High Street" which have sold well for me at craft fairs and exhibitions. They rejected me!!#-o

Never mind....I'll just keep going with the local sales!

Christine
Daisy Lee jewellery

daisychain
02-02-2010, 09:49 PM
It did feel like a big gamble for me when I joined last February but I rationalised that the joining fee was the equivalent of the stall fees of about 6-7 shows - and that's without costing in my travel and other expenses, my time at and before the shows etc. It has been worth it for me (I was in profit in less than 6 months), but you do need to make sure that your photos are excellent and that your products are different enough. I do change my products - new season's designs, I suppose, whilst keeping my best sellers, and that helps. Their marketing is excellent.

AlexandraBuckle
03-02-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm very interested to read this thread. I remember they emailed me when they were starting but the initial cost put me off.

I've since wondered whether I made the right decision, they do seem to be doing really well and I'm interested to hear that some of you have found it very successful.

GillJewel
23-02-2010, 03:11 PM
My sister in law is on Not on the high steet, I reiterate everything that others have said here, but in her experience she find things that work are :

- Personalised pieces e.g. names, finger prints, dates etc
- Anything to do with children ie.names, milestones etc.
- Plus anything that guarantees exclusivitiy or a limited run.

Hope this helps.

caroleallen
23-02-2010, 08:30 PM
I'd say that NOTHS is probably saturated with jewellery now and I wouldn't recommend anyone to join at this stage.

Silver Leaves
26-02-2010, 04:01 PM
I've been reading this post with much interest, I've been on NOTHS for about a year and a half now, I think it's been well worth the money although sales have quietened down at the moment. I do think like Carole that there is just so much jewellery on there now with more sellers being added every week. I've been trying to decide whether to apply for a space in one of the catalogues. I was wondering Carole if you find your sales increase significantly when you appear in a catalogue even if it's not around Christmas time.

caroleallen
26-02-2010, 09:42 PM
They do definitely increase if I'm in the catalogue. I get fed up though that they always choose the same things but I suppose they know what they're doing. I think you've missed the boat for the summer one though as they've been in touch today saying I had to decide by 5.30 whether I wanted to be in it.

Silver Leaves
27-02-2010, 11:14 AM
Thanks Carole, maybe I'll give one of the next ones a go, I probably won't be picked anyway!

Thanks Nicola
x

Rustyp
08-03-2010, 11:42 AM
It's been well worth it for me but I know some people have been disappointed. I think there's far too much jewellery on there now.

I think its good that they have more jewellery on there, but understand the concerns about some sellers, overall though they seem to do quite well there conversion rate is 6.32% which is quite good for an online shop

caroleallen
08-03-2010, 08:10 PM
I've been contacted by this company yourindies - your life, your choice, your indies.com (http://yourindies.co.uk/)

They send me a really classy brochure. I probably won't join them because Noths are strict about being exclusive but they do look good. I may think about just putting my aluminium stuff on there possibly.

Di Sandland
09-03-2010, 07:54 AM
I've been contacted by this company yourindies - your life, your choice, your indies.com (http://yourindies.co.uk/)

They send me a really classy brochure. I probably won't join them because Noths are strict about being exclusive but they do look good. I may think about just putting my aluminium stuff on there possibly.

They approached me too Carole, but I'm still a bit undecided about the whole thing :confused::confused:

caroleallen
09-03-2010, 09:13 AM
I know Di. It's a lot of money up-front but they look really professional and if I hadn't taken a gamble with NOTHS, I'd be regretting it now. When you think about it, £400 is the price of one good craft fair.

stu_clouds
09-03-2010, 10:55 AM
To all that are on NOTHS,

do you have much success through this type of site? is it your main route for sales online or is it just another iron in the fire so to speak? I have just paid to get a site built and am looking to have as much going on online as possible so im hoping once the site is live i can try and sell on NOTHS or Indies.

Regards

Stu:)

silverrooms
11-03-2010, 06:50 PM
We dont use NOTH as a selling tool - we are looking at this as a way of selling our silver ladies jewellery.

At the moment we sell this on our silver gifts site which is

Our bangles are one of our best selling gifts - our supplier makes them in the Uk using cooksons wires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

caroleallen
11-03-2010, 07:07 PM
It's another iron in the fire Stu.

stu_clouds
11-03-2010, 08:05 PM
:ta: very good point Carol, do you have to be invited onto these sites or do you apply?

i hope as i become more experienced i can give people advice instead of absorbing everyone elses.

caroleallen
11-03-2010, 09:21 PM
You can apply. Have a look at their site.

Milomade
14-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Is anyone on this site:
handmade gifts and handmade products from independent designers | not mass produced (http://www.notmassproduced.com)

have they got the same kind of upfront one of payment scheme?