PDA

View Full Version : New Term... New Chapter

lydia
16-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Hey forum users,

My names Lydia and I'm just about to start my course, can't wait!!! I'm studying Jewellery at Birmingham City Uni (1st year), one of Europe's largest jewellery schools, incidently across the road from cookson. Loving this forum - everybody seems so friendly and knowledgable - a wonderful combination! :)

Just wondering if there's any more students out there about to start or restart their courses in the coming weeks. Would be cool to hear from you, share info, tips, find out where people are studying etc...

0:-)

bustagasket
16-09-2009, 02:05 PM
omg how wonderful!!! Welcome to the forum Lydia i am so envious of your course, hope you love every minute :D:~:

MuranoSilver
16-09-2009, 02:09 PM
:welcome: to the forum Lydia
Any course feedback is always welcome, feel free to post up tutorials for us ;)
I'd be sooooo excited to go to that school
nic x

Coco
16-09-2009, 02:25 PM
I started my jewellery diploma at Kcc yesterday and it was all going brilliantly until I fell on my arse into a massive puddle while crossing hungerford bridge.

Now the whole thing's jinxed =:-O

Why does my life hate me? :'(

lydia
16-09-2009, 02:31 PM
I started my jewellery diploma at Kcc yesterday and it was all going brilliantly until I fell on my arse into a massive puddle while crossing hungerford bridge.(

Don't worry. I've done worst. Can't wait to get cracking on mine. Not sure how prepared I am. What's your course schedule like?

Lisa Quinn
16-09-2009, 02:39 PM
I am green with envy, I hope that you both have a wonderful time

Lisa x

EmmaRose
16-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Insanely jealous on your course!
What will you be doing on it? do send us pictures so we can see!
Great place to learn
Em

bustagasket
16-09-2009, 03:22 PM
omg i will go to my little evening class with terrible disapppointment lol

Have a wonderful time :)

Emerald
16-09-2009, 03:34 PM
well if its anything like when i was there (which its not cos its been rebuilt with all mod cons) you will have an absolute blast x

caroleallen
16-09-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm dead envious too. I did a week's course there this summer on the hydraulic press and had a fantastic time. The equipment there is to die for.

lorraineflee
16-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Green with envy!!!! Hope you have a fantastic time on the course though - don't forget we'll want regular progress reports!

Lorraine

CDW Designs
16-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Hi Coco
How did the first evening go? .....apart from falling over. What will you be covering on the course, anything exciting? Look forward to seeing any pictures. Any tips how to upload photos?
Christine:help:

Coco
16-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Hiya!

T'was good thanks! It's not evening though it's 10-4 tuesdays and thursdays. We spend all day tuesday in the workshop and then on thursday mornings we have theory, drawing, design, talks from suppliers elements of being a jewellery maker. That kind of thing, I think, dunno yet haven't had a thursday there yet. Most of tomorrow's gonna be induction though :rolleyes:

So far in the workshop we've just been doing a practise run of making rings so we get a feel for the place. We get to make stuff without feeling any kind of pressure.....yet. Nice ;)

Don't know yet what we're going to be covering but I'm really hoping casting and etching feature somewhere. Will probably find out tomorrow.

Gotta go to bed - have to be up at 7, which considering I was up at 6 yesterday doesn't sound too bad.

Remind me why I wanted to do this.....

Emerald
16-09-2009, 08:52 PM
because its the best, since the kids have gone back to school i havent stopped working at my bench and without the knowledge i learnt at jewellery school i just wouldent be able to do that, you will have a fab time :dance:

bustagasket
16-09-2009, 08:58 PM
my little evening class restarts next ween, its not quite in the same league but its better than nothing

Emerald
16-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Su i taught at an evening class for two years (before they decided i need teaching qulaifications) and the quality of work my group produced amazed me they where there cos thay wanted to learn and had paid a lot of money and so they really put there all into it, oh except the girl that set herself on fire lmao, i still see a few of them now and they always ask if the class will go again. So you take what you can from any class and ask for help and question as much as you can (those tutors are getting really good pay lol)

bustagasket
16-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Su i taught at an evening class for two years (before they decided i need teaching qulaifications) and the quality of work my group produced amazed me they where there cos thay wanted to learn and had paid a lot of money and so they really put there all into it, oh except the girl that set herself on fire lmao, i still see a few of them now and they always ask if the class will go again. So you take what you can from any class and ask for help and question as much as you can (those tutors are getting really good pay lol)

Thats one of the problems i have, i am not good at asking for help in person, on here its not so bad, people cant see me squirming with embarrassment at my noobness, but in cless there are some quite pushy people who have been going for a year or more (i have only done one term) and so i kinda hang back a bit, there are only 12 in the class but i cant compete with that many. Prolly why i have learnt so much from here, i might be over the top etc, but its a defence mechanism.[[]]

Emerald
16-09-2009, 09:19 PM
[QUOTE=bustagasket;12355]Thats one of the problems i have, i am not good at asking for help in person, on here its not so bad, people cant see me squirming with embarrassment at my noobness, but in cless there are some quite pushy people who have been going for a year or more (i have only done one term) and so i kinda hang back a bit, there are only 12 in the class but i cant compete with that many. Prolly why i have learnt so much from here, i might be over the top etc, but its a defence mechanism.[[]][/QUOTE

well if the tutor is a good tutor she/he should see that, but if they dont you really need to put your hand up more, the more work you do the more pushy you will become because learning to you about this subject is addictive hang on in there and it will be you being the pushy person x

bustagasket
16-09-2009, 09:26 PM
lol well i am 47 now so i doubt i will get brave now, but i will have to try to see what else she is going to teach me, cos therre doesnt seem to be much on the agenda as much.

Coco
16-09-2009, 09:42 PM
my little evening class restarts next ween, its not quite in the same league but its better than nothing

Size doesn't mean anything. I'm a quite "prestigious" (in its own view anyway) jewellery school dropout because the teaching was ****, their attitude was horrible they kept saying things were going to happen which then didn't happen and changing the timetable. All done with the air that we should be really grateful to be there.

Bollocks to 'em!

RedFox-BlueMonkey
17-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Hiya!

I've just completed 3 years of a Jewellery and Silversmithing Degree, but at Loughborough Uni. You will have a techie or tutor called Jo Pond at Birmingham, she used to teach us she's lovely!!

I'm currently working from a makeshift workbench in my room, which is ace, but I'm about to branch out as my own business but will be working from a studio in Birmingham, I'm on a programme called Design Space. I really can't wait but I'm very nervous about it all. Managed to get my work in a gallery and have orders coming in, its all very crazy!!

Enjoy your time on your course and try everything possible, I put in loads of time and managed to make and sell things as well as study.

Good luck, you will love it!
Jess

bustagasket
17-09-2009, 09:35 PM
Lovely to meet you and welcome to the forums, so much info on here :D:~:

RedFox-BlueMonkey
17-09-2009, 10:13 PM
if that was at me Su, thank you! you will have to bear with me as I'm not the most tech savvy person, I created a blog which doesn't yet have any photos lol one day i will get there im sure! x x

bustagasket
18-09-2009, 05:59 AM
No probs, shout if you need a hand - lots of clever peeps on here in lots of ways - just dont look at me and expect me to be clever lol

lorraineflee
18-09-2009, 09:15 AM
if that was at me Su, thank you! you will have to bear with me as I'm not the most tech savvy person, I created a blog which doesn't yet have any photos lol one day i will get there im sure! x x

Hi there and welcome to the forum from me too. :~:
Lorraine

Coco
18-09-2009, 02:39 PM
We got our student cards yesterday :dance:

Eeeeeeeee, I feel proper studenty :rofl:

ps_bond
18-09-2009, 02:54 PM
... the teaching was ****, their attitude was horrible they kept saying things were going to happen which then didn't happen and changing the timetable. All done with the air that we should be really grateful to be there.

Common to many teaching establishments, unfortunately.

agent_44
18-09-2009, 02:55 PM
We got our student cards yesterday :dance:

Eeeeeeeee, I feel proper studenty :rofl:

I want to go back to collge just for the Student Discounts, lol! :D

Coco
19-09-2009, 11:39 AM
I've got a cold starting! :'(. I can't start missing college already but I hate being snotty and bunged up in front of people. Any tips for dealing with the inevitable drips subtley whilst at the bench?

agent_44
19-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Have you tried Otrivine? It's a decongestant, which in my opinion is brilliant. I find it can clear you up completely for a good few hours, it's horrible being all bunged up around people, isn't it?!

Di Sandland
19-09-2009, 11:55 AM
I've got a cold starting! :'(. I can't start missing college already but I hate being snotty and bunged up in front of people. Any tips for dealing with the inevitable drips subtley whilst at the bench?

Coco if you think that's bad, imagine what it was like to subtly drip as a midwife. :N:

agent_44
19-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Coco if you think that's bad, imagine what it was like to subtly drip as a midwife. :N:

ew :(

Mucky(er) babies? ;)

Di Sandland
19-09-2009, 12:07 PM
ew :(

Mucky(er) babies? ;)

amongst other things, yes.

Coco
19-09-2009, 12:51 PM

I'd rather not [-X

I haven't heard of this Otrivine thing - will look for it :ta:

Emerald
19-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Hiya!

I'm currently working from a makeshift workbench in my room, which is ace, but I'm about to branch out as my own business but will be working from a studio in Birmingham, I'm on a programme called Design Space. I really can't wait but I'm very nervous about it all. Managed to get my work in a gallery and have orders coming in, its all very crazy!!

Good luck, you will love it!
Jess

Hi Jess

Who runs the Design space is it in the Big Peg?

RedFox-BlueMonkey
20-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Hi Jess

Who runs the Design space is it in the Big Peg?

hiya,

I think it's just run by the council but I'm not sure lol. I'll know soon, I start in 2 weeks...very nervous!!

Jess x

Coco
21-09-2009, 09:01 AM
I've got a cold starting! :'(. ?

Just so y'all know - cold starting turned into temperature of 100....whatever it is you measure body temperature in and me spending last night crying about our dog that died 6-ish weeks ago. God I love my life! :confused:

Sorry, I know this is a bit :offtopic:. As you were :-"

Di Sandland
21-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Just so y'all know - cold starting turned into temperature of 100....whatever it is you measure body temperature in and me spending last night crying about our dog that died 6-ish weeks ago. God I love my life! :confused:

Sorry, I know this is a bit :offtopic:. As you were :-"
(((big hugs)))

bustagasket
21-09-2009, 10:52 AM
aww huge hugs to you huni get well soon

Coco
21-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks you two. Just braved the outside world - wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Sorry for the drama queenyness #-o :o

Coco
22-09-2009, 02:32 PM
I killed the thread! Whadda I win? :<3:

bustagasket
22-09-2009, 02:39 PM
I killed the thread! Whadda I win? :<3:

A date with *insert favourite person here* :-"

only draw back is its just in your imagination, blame it on the temperature you had.:mad:

lydia
24-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Wow, I ask a question just a few days ago and come back to all this feedback and chat. Great thread, lovely to hear from you all! [[]]

Coco
03-10-2009, 04:20 PM
our dog that died 6-ish weeks ago.

I really want a new dog. Is that evil of me? How long are you supposed to mourn pets for?

Green Beetle
04-10-2009, 12:25 PM
I really want a new dog. Is that evil of me? How long are you supposed to mourn pets for?

Like anything else, I guess. Just as long as it takes. If you feel ready for a new dog, then you are.You won't forget the the old one and the fun you had together.

jetlag
21-10-2009, 10:20 PM
I would love to be able to do a degree in jewellery but they're all full time :(

jetlag
21-10-2009, 10:21 PM

My husband, who used to breed border collies, says the best thing to do is get a new one straight away.

You're not dishonouring your dog by getting a new one. They know how much you love(d) them [[]]