PDA

View Full Version : can you flush set a stone without drilling all the way through the metal?

altonh
22-10-2017, 09:38 AM
Hello :)

I have been having ideas of flush setting stones into a silver cuff i made, looking at various ways to flush/ gypsy/ burnish set stones into metal on youtube and they all drill a hole through the metal. Aesthetically this is something i would like to avoid on the cuff i want to use if possible.

My silver cuff is 4mm x 4mm square thickness and i want to flush set 5 x 2mm black diamonds spread out along the cuff however i don't want to have drilled holes visible on the inside of the cuff. As the stones are opaque there is no need for the holes to let light in from the under side which i am guessing is why you drill through.

So before i start practicing on zircons and brass metal and building up my skills my question is do you need to drill right through to technically make the stone better stay in place, or is it just a question of light getting into the stone that everyone seems to drill the hole right through?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated thanks!!

alton

enigma
22-10-2017, 01:06 PM
I don't know the technically correct answer but yes you can, I sometimes do this.
The only downside that I am aware of is that if the stone doesn't go in straight it can be impossible to get it out.

josef1
22-10-2017, 03:59 PM
Usually the hole allows cleaning of the stone from behind

ps_bond
22-10-2017, 08:57 PM
Usually the hole allows cleaning of the stone from behind

And poking it out if you don't get it in level first try...
A lot of the flush setting I do involves not having a through-hole.

trialuser
23-10-2017, 09:53 AM
I've never really understood the light from the back bit with gypsy setting.
By the time someone has rammed it on their podgy finger nothing is getting round the sides and in the back.

ps_bond
23-10-2017, 10:55 AM
By the time someone has rammed it on their podgy finger nothing is getting round the sides and in the back.

Except gunge.
*So* much gunge...

altonh
24-10-2017, 08:44 PM
Thanks for these replies i will start practicing!

Gemsetterchris
25-10-2017, 07:02 AM
Yes you can providing that you can get a deep enough hole without going through...