PDA

View Full Version : It's here!!!!

fi79
16-09-2009, 12:01 PM
He he he!!!! My OH has just texted me at work to say that my "jewellery oven" (seriously?! It's a kiln, man) has arrived!!!!!!! Can't wait to get home and see my lovely SC2! :dance:

Mind you - I can't fire it up for another week. I no space and will need to set it up in my parents garage, once they clear it out. :(

Until then I'll just need to sit and look at it lovingly! :<3:

Lisa Quinn
16-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Oooooh I love getting new toys! The agony of waiting must be unbearable?

Lisa xx

bustagasket
16-09-2009, 12:14 PM
omg what fantastic news hun, enjoy enjoy :)

mizgeorge
16-09-2009, 12:30 PM
I often find it almost satisfying enough just to have my new tools :)

It can take me days, even weeks to unpack and actually use them. Ithink it took me about six weeks to fire up my SC2 for the first time. Funnily enough, when I got my little beadcube, I had it running within about half an hour of it arriving, probably because it was a total impulse purchase and not lusted after for months beforehand!

Di Sandland
16-09-2009, 12:47 PM
My 'jewellery oven' arrived yesterday and my OH spent yesterday evening getting its new home ready. This morning I unwrapped it and just looked at (oh and I ran my hands lovingly over it). I've read the manual from cover to cover too.

And - my tumbler has just arrived!

bustagasket
16-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Di i would be like a kiddy in a candy store!!

Di Sandland
16-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Di i would be like a kiddy in a candy store!!

What makes you think I'm not ;) The sad thing is I have had to sit and write today when all I really want to do is go cuddle my kiln. Now the tumbler has arrived, all semblance of 'proper work' as my OH calls it has gone. I'm off to have a cuppa, then I will slowly remove the covering from my tumbler, maybe with a bit of slow music in the background...

caroleallen
16-09-2009, 12:55 PM
It'll be worth the wait though. There'll be no stopping you now.

mizgeorge
16-09-2009, 01:02 PM
What makes you think I'm not ;) I'm off to have a cuppa, then I will slowly remove the covering from my tumbler, maybe with a bit of slow music in the background...

Wot... like this:

A cuppa for Di and her tumbler (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHYqv7sIVEY)

MuranoSilver
16-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Oh My goodness that PG advert is FABulous George!! :-D

fi79
16-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Di - Between you and me Britain will be awash with jewellery making love vibes - mine radiating outwards from Glasgow and yours from Devon. Come on everyone feel the love!!!

Has to be said I'm a bit miffed. OH thought the delivery was for him (he was expecting photography backdrop) and opened it - so I won't get the full effect unless he has taped it back up!

Di Sandland
16-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Wot... like this:

A cuppa for Di and her tumbler (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHYqv7sIVEY)

You know me too well, George! Fabulous, thanks. And yes - exactly like that

agent_44
16-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Hehe, hope you get it set up soon! Enjoy your new jewellery oven ;)

bustagasket
16-09-2009, 01:30 PM
lmao the vision of Di that i now have with that kiln is priceless

Petal
16-09-2009, 01:35 PM
You know me too well, George! Fabulous, thanks. And yes - exactly like that

Oh that Video was so funny George... I love it. Glad he didn't take his dressing gown off though....

Must admit, I'm a bit miffed today, as my wire hasn't turned up yet. :N: I did think of ordering some .8mm sterling at the same time as the rest of my order and now wished I had, as I've almost finished the .4 already :'(

Love
Jules x

Di Sandland
16-09-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm tumbling me 'eadpins!!!

bustagasket
16-09-2009, 02:00 PM
woot!!! snap!!! i realised i was gonna be about 70 short so i hurredly made more and shoved em in lol................must order more wire, note supposed to be ordering anything :(

The Dragon
16-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Funnily enough I'm just getting spacers, earwires and 'edpins read to go in my tumbler before I go off and do the food shop.

I've decided to invest in a Paragon, just waiting for my savings to hit my bank account and decide who to order from!

There's going to be a lot of jewellery love going around the country soon. lol :)

EmmaRose
16-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Oooh I feeeelll the love. Seriously, enjoy, I love my kiln best purchase I ever made (even if the most expensive!).
Hope you are tumbling the headpins in a stocking or something Di or you'll be picking them out of the shot for ever ;)
Em

Di Sandland
16-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Funnily enough I'm just getting spacers, earwires and 'edpins read to go in my tumbler before I go off and do the food shop.

I've decided to invest in a Paragon, just waiting for my savings to hit my bank account and decide who to order from!

There's going to be a lot of jewellery love going around the country soon. lol :)

Annie the results of my very recent search for the best deal threw up Warm Glass (http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/Shop/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=2507)- who are ahead in the price stakes by a country mile at the moment. Their service seems very good too.

The Dragon
16-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Thanks for that :X

As soon as the money is in I'll put the order through. Just hope they deliver on a day someone's in to sign for it #-o

Lindyloo
16-09-2009, 06:33 PM
You're all making me so jealous. :(|

Di Sandland
16-09-2009, 06:36 PM
I now have visions of you working on "The Price Is Right" and seductively caressing the prizes like they used to. :-D

Also have you tried doing an irish stew in it yet?

PS I bet the kiln manufacturers are rubbing their hands together!

Irish stew, Irish, bloody stew! My dahling in this neck of the woods its Morroccan Lamb with Shiraz Honey Sauce!

And for caressing kitchen white goods, Sale of the Century with Nicholas Parsons was very hard to beat ;)

Di Sandland
16-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Ah but do you cook it in a Tajine like we do in the SE?:D

What in deepest darkest devon! I think not.

Emerald
16-09-2009, 07:24 PM
You're all making me so jealous. :(|

uh, and me not fair not fair although i already have a tumbeler, ultasonic a wopper of a polishing mop oh and that lurvley bench:~:

The Dragon
16-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Sorry a bit of :threadjacked: here.

Di did you say you'd stocked up on enamels as well? Did you get them from warm galss as well by any chance, I'm looking for a nice mid blue to play with for my first attempt at enameling PMC. :)

By the way I hope that all this jewellery love is going to turn into photos in the near future, we can swop notes and experiences as we get to know our latest family member! :dance:

Di Sandland
16-09-2009, 08:08 PM
[QUOTE=The Dragon;12306]Sorry a bit of :threadjacked: here.

Di did you say you'd stocked up on enamels as well? Did you get them from warm galss as well by any chance, I'm looking for a nice mid blue to play with for my first attempt at enameling PMC. :)

Yes, I got a set of transparent enamels but not from Warm Glass. I'd set my heart on getting some pukka Japanese enamels but in the end I got these (http://www.cooksongold.com/Enamelling/Set-Of-Enamel-Colours-Transparent-Bluegreen--12x10gm-Latham-Enamelun-Not-Classified-prcode-860-055) from good old Cooksons.

bustagasket
16-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Su' repeat after me - "i do not need a kiln yet, i do not need a kiln yet i donot need a kiln yet..........................." *sigh*

Emerald
16-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Su' repeat after me - "i do not need a kiln yet, i do not need a kiln yet i donot need a kiln yet..........................." *sigh*

i am repeating it to Su

bustagasket
16-09-2009, 08:21 PM
i am repeating it to Su

i need my workroom first (kurts staying over this weekend to look after the animals while we are away, i am hoping it will be clear when i get back but i wont hold my breath :(

fi79
16-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Dear lord - I've lost my marbles. I just hugged my kiln. OH came back in from his "choppy kicky" class (otherwise known as Tai Kwon Do) and helped me get it out the box.

I slowly unwrapped it (who am I kidding I ripped off the cling film) and drooled for a couple of minutes. Then I hugged it. It was at that point that the OH said he was going to go for a shower "to give me some time alone with my jewellery oven". <3<3

I think I need to name her (yes, her - she going to help me make pretty girly things!). Any suggestions?

bustagasket
16-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Dear lord - I've lost my marbles. I just hugged my kiln. OH came back in from his "choppy kicky" class (otherwise known as Tai Kwon Do) and helped me get it out the box.

I slowly unwrapped it (who am I kidding I ripped off the cling film) and drooled for a couple of minutes. Then I hugged it. It was at that point that the OH said he was going to go for a shower "to give me some time alone with my jewellery oven". <3<3

I think I need to name her (yes, her - she going to help me make pretty girly things!). Any suggestions?

OOOOO I was a 1st dan in TaeKwon Do til i had to give up for my spinal surgery, i so miss it :(

I think i would hug my kiln too if i had just got one, and we all know how Di behaves with hers (disgraceful)

As for a name..............well i am not good at them, i would only come up with daft names like Tilly and Dolly guess i will have a think but i can imagine that you will get some fantastic names off of this lot!

fi79
16-09-2009, 08:41 PM
OH was a 1st dan black belt then gave up for years. Then he went back and started at red - he got his black again in May!! What a boy!

Di Sandland
16-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Pity she's a she, otherwise you could have called her Dan

bustagasket
16-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Woot!! grats to him, i know how much work goes into it :D

MuranoSilver
16-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Well my Kilns a boy....now I know where all those little mini kilns get made....:-D

Ominicci
17-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Well I want a big one.

Having used Julie Fountain's big one I think I NEED a big one.

For only an extra £64 (total £630) at Tuffnells (that includes around £25 for postage) the Paragon Bluebird would be worth it Bead Annealing Kiln (http://www.tuffnellglass.com/contents/en-uk/d33.html) . Their prices include VAT - which a lot of the others' screen prices don't. I can't see if it has a slotted mesh at the back of the kiln to rest the beads on though. Julie had a Kilncare maxi which is the same sort of size with double doors and it has a unique back wall that enables you to rest 3 rows of mandrels on Kilncare - Glass, Ceramic and Enamelling Kilns (http://www.kilncare.co.uk/kilns_glass_beadannealing_maxiprofessionalkiln.htm l) £710 inc VAT & delivery.... and they do it in Pink! They also do a Bead Cube which is cheaper than the Paragon SC2 at £425 inc VAT and delivery Kilncare - Glass, Ceramic and Enamelling Kilns (http://www.kilncare.co.uk/kilns_glass_beadannealing_beadcube.html)

Solunar Silver Studio
17-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Well my Kilns a boy....now I know where all those little mini kilns get made....:-D

Funny....I'm sure mine is called Prometheus not Promiscuous!!:rofl:

mizgeorge
17-09-2009, 10:47 AM
The maxi/maxine (or the bluebird) are only any use for annealing beads though. For other jewellery stuff (annealing metal, enamelling, firing metal clay etc etc) they aren't laid out right, and more importantly not hot enough.

I have a beadcube, which, whilst primarily for annealing, does go hot enough to fire bits of metal clay or do a bit of enamelling. I sold my SC2 recently because I just didn't use it any more. I can batch anneal literally hundreds of beads at at time, and garage easily 30 (which is way more than I ever make in a single session). I think the big kilns are great for full time lampworkers, especially if they've got the space, but I love my little Eric, who's small and neat enough to sit on my very overcrowded torch bench. I also love the service from Kilncare - what a fantastic UK company - who listened to what people were looking for, and made it. :Y:

Ominicci
17-09-2009, 10:51 AM
George you can do that many in the Beadcube???

mizgeorge
17-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Yep. I batch annealed 350 spacers and small beads once. Nothing with rubino or any other 'sticky' glasses, and just piled in. I lost two, but I think both were already shocked as they were a bit too big to have not been garaged.

30 mandrels is perfectly do-able as long as you have a bit of mesh in the back to catch the mandrels on. I keep them to the left when they first go in, and move them over after 10 minutes or so (usually around the time the next bead's going in). I'm never going to be a full time beadmaker, but love having a bead door (rather than having to cut down mandrels and remember to put gloves and stuff on), and it's just such a dinky little thing. Can't recommend it highly enough! I've not seen a single one come up for resale since it was launched, which says a lot imo.

Ominicci
17-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Perhaps I don't need a Big One after all... Did you put the wire mesh in yourself or is it a purchase option?

mizgeorge
17-09-2009, 11:43 AM
I put my own in, but I'm sure Lee would sort something out if you asked him - they're very helpful people :)

I tend to like tools that are designed for their purpose, rather than trying to do too much. If I wanted to do a lot of fusing/slumping etc, I'd have stuck with my no-bead-door SC2, but it's not my thing, and I don't have cutting space. I do a little bit of metal clay stuff (not bronze or copper, so don't need a container and charcoal), and the cube does those just fine. I'll get round to trying a bit of enamelling in it sooner or later, but I'm sure it'll do that too.

I also very much like the separate controller, which always feels a bit less vulnerable somehow.

Ominicci
18-09-2009, 08:23 AM
Many thanks George! :Y:

The Dragon
18-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Ok ... deep breath ... all you wicked sinful people (I don't mean it really) have talked me into it!!!

I have just placed my order for my Paragon Kiln,:dance: I've gone for the option with the bead door but not the window - in theory I should be using the time to do something else not staring at my work! lol!!!

My OH has just had Kittens, Puppies, Hamsters and Gerbils, then he gave me a lecture on the wise application of money in this financial crisis, You can imagine my sedate, polite, ladylike, reponse to that. I did make sure that I pointed out that this was my hard earned money from my savings but I couldn't quite understand his response, it kept getting stuck around his foot! lol. :))):dancing::)))

All that is required now is some serious thought about a name!

mizgeorge
18-09-2009, 07:33 PM
How exciting Annie! Are you going to the GBUK fair tomorrow to get some lampwork inspiration?

fi79
18-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Yea Annie! Well done! What else are savings for!!??

Di Sandland
18-09-2009, 08:16 PM
way to go Annie! I actually (gulp) turned mine on today.

Tomorrow I might just cook something in it.

Emerald
18-09-2009, 09:05 PM
How exciting Annie! Are you going to the GBUK fair tomorrow to get some lampwork inspiration?

oh i so wanted to go but maybe its a good thing i am not as my credit card is already maxed out and if i went i would buy all the beads in sight and i want a kiln and i want to learn how to make beads i want i want i want:N:

The Dragon
18-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Woooo Hooo Di, Irish Stew perhaps or maybe Devon Crab (sorry that's the best recipe I could come up with related to Devon).

How many times do you think we sould read the manual before we actually put anything in? lol

George - my biggest regret since joining this forum is the fact that I can't go to all the places I want to:

A. There are too many for me to take in - I've never had this much exposure to our craft.

B. In my wildest dreams I don't think I could persuade my Store Manager to give me enough time off to do everything I want to.

However, I will be adressing that problem next year - I just need to look at a 12 month rota instead of a 1 month one.

Hey Ho!!!!

:dance:

Ominicci
19-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Oh Poo I didn't know about the GBUK Fair - My DH often goes to Northampton to see his uncle as no other relatives live near him and he is in a home. I could have got him to go and take me, bit late now....:(