PDA

View Full Version : grandmas ring

Lars87
18-10-2017, 08:23 AM
Hello. I have just inherited a ring after my grate grandmother, but I need help identifying the gemstone and makersmark, can anybody help me, possibly tell me where to look?
The ring is marked 585 and F with a 5-pointed star. the stone is red / pink.

Adding som pic that mayby is important.

Ps sorry for my English :)

Dennis
18-10-2017, 08:49 AM
If it does not have a UK hallmark, it will be difficult to identify.
That goes for the metal and stone too unless you have it vaued. a high street jeweller can do that. Dennis.

Lars87
18-10-2017, 09:09 AM
Ey Yeah i know UK are really much better on hallmarks then almost anyone else, together whit russia, here i norway we are good on silver but not on gold

CJ57
18-10-2017, 11:29 AM
Oh I love that, I've found that 585 is 14 carat gold , you don't say where you are so letter maybe country of origin? A beautiful contemporary looking ring very wearable

I found this description on a US site after googling the F star mark
Wonderful 14k gold chrysoprase modernist ring. Marked for 14k gold and maker F "star". Made in continental Europe, probably Germany 1960-70s.. Ignore the chrysoprase as the stone was green !

Lars87
18-10-2017, 11:39 AM
Hey ya thanks i think so too, 585 i know, but the F and star are unclare but i found a lot of Italian jewlery whit the same star, as too the stone im thinking: rubellite, tourmaline, spinel or ruby.

Oh and im sorry for that im located in Norway.

CJ57
18-10-2017, 02:51 PM
It would be lovely if it was a ruby but difficult to tell from a photo. I saw the most amazing ruby on the Antiques Roadshow last week which was exactly that colour but couldn't possibly say. I'd wear it and whenever it was made it hasn't dated

Lars87
20-10-2017, 05:54 AM
Then i got news, the ring is Russian and the stone is most likely a syntetik sapphire

metalsmith
20-10-2017, 07:09 AM
Then i got news, the ring is Russian and the stone is most likely a syntetik sapphire

Sapphire colours vary, but red is ruby, even if synthetic.

"A ruby is a pink to blood-red colored gemstone, a variety of the mineral corundum (aluminium oxide). Other varieties of gem-quality corundum are called sapphires."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby

They were invented in the 1930s so that might be useful to know - whether the timing fits with your knowledge of Grandma's Ring.

Lars87
20-10-2017, 08:05 AM

yes we think thats around when she aquierd it so now the hunt for the maker is the last obsticle.