PDA

View Full Version : Gripping issues

Skieferins
06-10-2017, 09:36 PM
Hello,

Sorry if I've asked this before...I am not sure how to check any older posts I've posted...I just bookmark pages.

Anyway, I am having a bit of a hand grip problem, I use reverse tweezers for handling most items but I find that after a week or so, the grip loosens , so are there any tweezer type tools..or long nosed pliers that have a reverse grip avaliable ? Something that will hold items but will need squeezing to release the grip is what I am after

Thanks in advance

ps_bond
06-10-2017, 10:09 PM
All of the reverse tweezers I've used tend to loosen quite quickly - the arms are quite soft and bend readily. I do have one pair which I cut down to almost nothing that I use in the laser - that's still going strong.

Peter_AUS
07-10-2017, 02:17 AM
Hello,

Sorry if I've asked this before...I am not sure how to check any older posts I've posted...I just bookmark pages.

Anyway, I am having a bit of a hand grip problem, I use reverse tweezers for handling most items but I find that after a week or so, the grip loosens , so are there any tweezer type tools..or long nosed pliers that have a reverse grip avaliable ? Something that will hold items but will need squeezing to release the grip is what I am after

Thanks in advanceSmall heamostat might work depending on what you are doing. I'm lucky to have acquire some over time, just need to put something on the teeth to protect what you are holding.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Kathryn Harrison
07-10-2017, 09:37 AM
I use normal tweezers with a hair band on them for lots of things you just push the hair band up and down. They do get singed during soldering occasionally which is a bit stinky but otherwise they are super helpful.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Dennis
07-10-2017, 12:45 PM
Yes, surgical forceps, as Peter suggested (cheap on line) are good with the teeth ground off and the jaws polished. once annealed they can also be bent slightly so that they grip less strongly.

But my all time favourite for chains and jump rings are the self closing tweezers in this set: http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Tweezer-Set-4-Piece-Stainless-----Steel-prcode-999-096M&query=tweezer%20set&channel=uk
They are made from stainless steel, so don't slacken much when heated, an are thin enough not to be a massive heat sink.
I dont know whether you can buy them separately anywhere though

For working on larger pieces, look for various hand vices on line. Dennis.

Goldsmith
07-10-2017, 01:27 PM
As Peter said have a look at the hemostat clamps, I have used them for many gripping jobs over the years.
See; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Medentra-Hemostatic-Surgical-Instruments-Hemostat/dp/B01CZ5I3KQ/ref=sr_1_10_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1507382856&sr=8-10&keywords=hemostatic+clamp

or; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fishing-Hemostat-Locking-Forceps-Stainless/dp/B00JMWDF9U/ref=pd_sbs_121_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=FBR5B42CE83Z1FNC9DMS

10510 10511

James

Aurarius
07-10-2017, 01:35 PM
Dennis, I have that tweezer set too and have found the self-locking ones useful for soldering. Their fairly gentle grip, compared with the standard self-locking tweezers, is what I mainly found useful.

I feel obliged to say that if you search a certain well known auction site for "4 piece tweezer set" or similar you can find the same set you've linked to at a considerably reduced price, i.e. well under £2 incl. postage.

Dennis
07-10-2017, 05:44 PM
That's good Mark. As I have had mine for quite some time, I was too lazy to check when replying to this post. Regards, Dennis.

-Sally-
08-10-2017, 09:52 AM
For soldering, I use some titanium cross-lock tweezers (possibly from toolsntools). The grip is lighter than the steel ones, but on the up-side you can stick them in the pickle pot along with your piece with no ill-effect and they are much less of a heat sink when soldering.
I've never had a problem with the steel ones loosening - just like the ease of not having to swap tweezers in and out of the pickle / water / soldering etc.
Wish they made parallel, titanium, cross-lock tweezers...
Wish my brain would cope better constantly swapping between cross locks and regular tweezers / pliers...
Sally

Dennis
08-10-2017, 12:55 PM
Yes, you have to give yourself a good talking to because at first you squeeze when you shouldn't.

callirrhoejewellery
12-10-2017, 05:42 PM
Would these kind of tweezers be any help? http://www.techni-tool.com/758TW386?gclid=CjwKCAjwpfzOBRA5EiwAU0ccNwL5m7qz2cV aHlIDauh-B5_7AHDayB2FCpL8FCaNxnb8NzNyrdqwvRoCFrIQAvD_BwE&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!51050649741!!!!!&ef_id=WdUPwQAAAdT8alog:20171012174623:s I have a pair (not from this website) and they are for gemstones but I don't see why they couldn't be used for soldering and other things since they are stainless steel.

Ruedeleglise
13-10-2017, 04:18 PM
Yes the, what I call artery forceps are great. Over the years I have used them for disgorging hooks when fishing, pulling splinters out, in model making, in horology, and now in jewellery making. I am lucky I have two daughters who are nurses so have a good supply route!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk