PDA

View Full Version : Brooch fastenings

Scarlet
05-10-2017, 10:44 AM
Hello, sorry me again with another newb question.

I've just made one brooch so far.....
After a little research I found an old post by Dennis that recommended stainless steel for the brooch pin. I've just ordered some 0.7 and 0.8mm. So thank you for that.
My question though is what kind of fastenings/variations do you all use?
The brooch Im designing is quite large - I like to wear biggish pieces. I've looked at brooches with twin prongs that go through a tube. What size of tube will I need for the .7mm and 8mm wire to fit snugly through. Perhaps that isn't my best option? Any photos of back of brooch would be welcome.
Many thanks!

Dennis
05-10-2017, 09:52 PM
Hi Scarlet,
For heavy brooches the double pin is best, because they then don't sag or flop. The down side is that double pins are difficult to insert into fabric.

It is difficult to order tube because they tend to be a little undersized, so I suggest you have short pieces (say 50mm) of several in the first instance.The smaller tubes are not very strong, so I generally have a tube, snug but loose, within a larger tube for extra thickness.

My first picture is Cooksons table to enable you to select some.
My other pictures show the double pin and the use of findings, with the eyelet of the home made pin riveted in place.
If you find your wire too stiff you can selectively anneal an area for bending and re-polish it afterwards. Dennis.

Scarlet
06-10-2017, 09:33 AM
Thank you very much Dennis. That's really informative. Love the London eye brooch too!