PDA

View Full Version : How do you straighten your wire

Petal
16-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Morning All, :~:

I like to re-use my wire, but am having trouble straightening it with my pliers.

What tools etc do you guys use for straightening yours ??

I'm thinking that it might be a vice? or rubber pliers? if so which one(s) are good to get?

:feedback:

thanks in advance
Love
Jules x

Di Sandland
16-09-2009, 09:47 AM
I use a Proxxon vice that I've had for years and a pair of pliers (whichever I happen to pick up first usually). This is what I do, although I'm not saying its the definitive answer ;)

Clamp one end of the wire in the vice - very securely
Clamp the other end in your pliers and walk away from the vice to the extent of the wire
Pull the wire taut - you feel a bit of a give, almost as if its all stretching.
Voila - straight wire.

Emerald
16-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Hi Jules i just use my hammer

Petal
16-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Thanks for that Di. !! I can't believe I need a vice, as we sold some stuff belonging to an old friend (he was a woodworking enthusiast) and had loads of tools, files, and vices, haha, oh loads of things....

I'll have a root about in the garage and see what I can nick from there! as I live in an almost non-existent DIY zone.

lotsaluv
Jules x

Di Sandland
16-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Don't talk to me about selling useful stuff Jules - just 3 months ago we sold my entire workshop. That included air extraction system, pendant drill, and lots of other goodies that will now have to be re-bought at some stage :(

Petal
16-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Sorry, I should have asked the obvious, which is what type of Proxxon vice do you have, having just googled them and seen loads?

Jules x

Di Sandland
16-09-2009, 09:57 AM
'ang on - I'll go take a peek...

Di Sandland
16-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Okay - it doesn't have a model number on it or anything but its a swivel head one. Whether or not I would have chosen that for jewellery (it was bought for wood carving) I dunno. Maybe a static one would be more stable. Let's see what the others say...

Solunar Silver Studio
16-09-2009, 10:00 AM
NOOOOOOOO!!!!! I have been psyking myself up to having a major house cleanse. I never throw anything away and it is becoming a bit of a problem now!! (and no - I don't live amongst heaps of newspapers and bottles full of body fluids!!) Having done so many crafts and things over the years I know I can put my hand on practically anything I want in my 'collection' now... but since I plan to do jewellery from now on I was planning to chuck everything else!! You have just set me back months of mental conditioning!!:'(

Di Sandland
16-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Bee - I aim to please. Think as this setback as a positive one :-"

Ominicci
17-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Don't forget that it might make it easier to straighten if you anneal it first, as it will have hardened if it has been used before. Small pieces I straigten with nylon jawed pliers.

Petal
17-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Ah, I didn't know that, though I have heard of annealing before. I've just looked up the process in one of my books and, unfortunately, haven't got the equipment for that and don't want to go anywhere near a torch.

Is there any other way of annealing wire, other than with a torch?

Jules x

mizgeorge
17-09-2009, 10:49 AM
In a kiln! (useful for heat hardening finished pieces as well ;))

Di Sandland
17-09-2009, 11:54 AM
REally?! I suppose it should be obvious - heat and all that - but it hadn't occurred to me.

agent_44
17-09-2009, 03:16 PM
I use nylon pliers too, and sometimes depending on the size and state of the wire, just run it through my fingers.

Sheltie
17-09-2009, 03:29 PM
A quick and easy way to straighten wire upto 2.0mm is to use a chammois leather.

Hold the chammois around the wire and pull steady and firmly the length of the wire. Do this 3 or 4 times till wire is straight.

Word of caution the wire will be hot by the time you have finished, therefore no nead to anneal, unless you want to

Petal
17-09-2009, 11:06 PM
OOh thanks for that Sheltie, you've made my day, as I really didn't want to get a kiln, or a torch! Brilliant !!!!!! You're a star!

:X

night night
Jules x

Sheltie
18-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Ant time. It was an old wire worker that told me:)

mochiandmocha
18-09-2009, 09:25 AM
I just had to straighten 2mm wire when I was making my pentacle as the branches of the star needed to be absolutely straight, and I used my hammer on steal plate.
To check if it was straight enough, I just rolled it on the table (a bit like with a rolling pin) with one hand at either end of the piece of wire. It was easier to spot where it needed straightening (anything sticking up).
Not sure if it helps, and sorry if that's an obvious tip and everybody uses that technique...:)