PDA

View Full Version : Jewellery designs 'Game of Thrones'

Sandra
04-09-2017, 05:17 PM
I was just looking around Etsy at dragon jewellery designs (I want to make something with a dragon!)and came across quite a lot of Game of Thrones jewellery. It didn't appear to be 'inspired' designs but rather exact copies of things, in particular the 'House Targaryen' logo with three dragons. I would have assumed this is copyrighted? How is it possible people are creating jewellery and selling it with actual GOT logos?

ps_bond
04-09-2017, 06:18 PM
Because they haven't been caught yet. It's rife, and it's the copyright holder's responsibility to defend their copyright (which means if you don't know about it, you can't do anything. Similarly, unless you have deep pockets you probably can't do anything either).

Sandra
04-09-2017, 07:46 PM
I suspected as much but there seems to be soooo much of it out there! I'm pretty sure the GOT people have rather deep pockets too. Granted the Targaryen symbol with three dragons is quite cool so I can understand why people are wanting to reproduce it, i won't be one of them though ;)

ps_bond
04-09-2017, 07:59 PM
I should imagine they do... There is no fair use applicable in things like that.

Now I've googled the symbol, I think there are more impressive 3 headed dragon symbols around - there may be a copyright free one in amongst them?

(Yes, I have never seen any GoT)

CJ57
04-09-2017, 08:55 PM
(Yes, I have never seen any GoT)

We are part of the 2% Peter, it's like being part of an exclusive club :)

LydiaNiz
05-09-2017, 03:18 PM
I've not seen it either, but we are spoiled for dragons in Wales. Rather fond of the castle touring family: http://cadw.gov.wales/fun/livethelegends/the-dragons-lair/?lang=en

Sandra
05-09-2017, 07:55 PM
This is the GOT symbol I am seeing everywhere on etsy, it's easy to spot because of the looped tails. I don't usually get hooked on popular television shows and don't watch most things everyone else does - but I freely admit I'm a GOT watcher! I think dragons are pretty popular at the moment because of the show, but I was surprised to see so many itmess for sale with the actual Targaryen logo being used.