PDA

View Full Version : Varnishing bronze

Chillikat
29-08-2017, 01:40 PM
Hello all,

What product would you recommend to lacquer bronze pieces/metal clay in general?

I want to put a dark patina on areas of a piece that are raised, and the darkwill rub off; I am hoping there is some sort of glaze that can be added to protect those parts?

Thanks in advance!

Dennis
29-08-2017, 01:59 PM
Everything will eventually rub off areas of high friction, but the most hard wearing will be a spray can of polyurethane lacquer, or cellulose lacquer.
It is toxic and will go everywhere, so is best done out of doors on a windless day. Read the instructions and use 2 light coats from a distance.

That said, the modern patina solutions such as Platinol and Noirit are quite hard wearing in their own right and slight wear gives a pleasant antique look. They don't cover solder well though. Dennis.

Chillikat
29-08-2017, 03:58 PM
Thank you, Dennis!
Would this be a good choice? http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/rust-oleum-polyurethane-gloss-spray-paint---clear---400ml-581400

Chillikat
29-08-2017, 04:03 PM
Or this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plasti-Kote-Polyurethane-Clear-Satin-Varnish/dp/B000TRONAM

CJ57
29-08-2017, 04:09 PM
I'm with Dennis I'd go with patination. Any varnish will get patchy with wear and will look really unsightly but that's personal choice

Chillikat
29-08-2017, 04:26 PM
Thanks Caroline,

I've got the patina I want with liver of sulphur, but it keeps rubbing off. Do the 2 products mentioned by Dennis give a more permanent finish and which is better?

I see noirit is sold by the litre; that's quite a lot for the tiny job I want to do!

Oooo and - will they work on bronze? It doesn't say that on the website...

CJ57
29-08-2017, 04:37 PM
The patina shouldn't really rub off to that extent. You maybe need to build layers of a more diluted solution to bring it to the colour and buff up with a soft cloth. I prefer platinol, slightly less smelly but again not sure how any of these work on bronze. I can't comment on the varnished as I have never used them.

The bronze is another matter, not sure if anyone on here uses bronze much:/