PDA

View Full Version : Melting gold grain

janedouglas@sky.com
28-08-2017, 04:11 PM
Hi there, I am new to the blog, so hope I am doing this correctly!

I would like to create some 18ct gold ingots or large 'dots' around 7mm in diameter and I think the best way is to use a charcoal block to hollow out a shape and then melt some grain... would I need to use a flux? I've never melted gold in this quantity before so any pointers would be appreciated!

thanks
Jane

Dennis
28-08-2017, 05:03 PM
Yes, you will need flux in the form of borax powder, or plenty of scrapings from a cone. You will also need a large torch, because it takes a surprising amount of heat.

When liquid the gold will tend to round up into a wire shape, or ball up into a button, depending on how you cut your block. Dennis

handmadeblanks
28-08-2017, 05:39 PM
Hi there, I am new to the blog, so hope I am doing this correctly!

I would like to create some 18ct gold ingots or large 'dots' around 7mm in diameter and I think the best way is to use a charcoal block to hollow out a shape and then melt some grain... would I need to use a flux? I've never melted gold in this quantity before so any pointers would be appreciated!

thanks
Jane

Hi Jane,

I use a charcoal block whenever I need to make a large ingot. Now, I am a newbie so I apologise in advance if I am insulting your intelligence with what I am about to advise, but there may be other newbies reading this who might benefit.

Charcoal blocks seem to absorb moisture, soft charcoal blocks do anyway, and if you don't prepare them before use they will "explode" with the steam pressure created by the moisture when you apply heat suddenly. I learnt this the hard way and luckily I didn't have any molten metal on it when it happened.

I suggest that after you carve out your block and before putting any metal on it, you run your torch over it on a very low setting. Gently heat it to ensure it is dry. Then, before melting any metal on it, turn your torch up and heat it like you would to melt metal, just to be sure.

janedouglas@sky.com
28-08-2017, 08:50 PM
that's great, thank you! I didn't know that, so its really helpful :)

janedouglas@sky.com
28-08-2017, 08:54 PM
Brilliant, thank you Dennis! I have a borax cone and a seivert torch with 2 different burners so i'll use the larger one. And just dry cone scrapings or would I use it as a paste the same as soldering?
Jane

Dennis
28-08-2017, 09:23 PM
No, just give it a generous amount of the powder. Dennis.