PDA

View Full Version : Ohmigod it's a Disaster !!!

Lisa Quinn
15-09-2009, 09:08 PM
I AM MORTIFIED !! As a special treat for our wedding anniversary my hubby bought me a pendant drill, it's lovely, used it for the first time today and I can't believe it..... the shank broke on my polishing bit and has sheared off and has completely wrecked the collet and the collet can only be removed by using a hexanol allan key to loosen it and the hole for that it is behind the jammed in sheared off shank !!!! I have completely wrecked the handpiece in one day, has anyone got any helpful advice ( apart from secretly buying a new handpiece, oh I feel sooo bad !! )

Lisa

bustagasket
15-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Dont panic hun, i am sure one of the engineering peeps on here will have an idea for you

mizgeorge
15-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Oh Lisa, I feel your pain :(

I think I'd give your supplier a quick call and ask their advice. Other than that, I'm probably in the secret buying of new handpiece camp.

That said, the shank shouldn't have broken. Was a new one? If it was faulty, you may get a sympathetic response from the supplier.

The Dragon
15-09-2009, 09:43 PM
It definately sounds as though it's faulty and most electrical goods are gaurenteed for 12 months so you should try and get a replacement. I don't think it was you, I've used all sorts from pendant type drills to dremels over the years and you can be reasonably firm with them without problems, they just slow down a bit.

:Y:

geti-titanium
15-09-2009, 09:52 PM
can you take a picture so we can see it?

Lisa Quinn
15-09-2009, 10:07 PM
I think it was probably my own fault, I had some cheap shanks that came as an accessory kit with my very old dremel and it has sheared off exactly flush with the top of the collet which means pliers are not an option as there is nothing to grip on and the collet has only 3 claws which means that I can't get anything like a saw blade at the blummin shank.

I should know better than to use "bargain tools", I recently bought "bargain" saw blades and ended up having to bin them as they were just useless.

I think that I shall be buying a new handpiece, grrrr, it has just been one of those days............ Mo the dog was sick all over the carpet, hubby is stuck in traffic and isn't home from work yet, the kids woke up with colds and somebody lit a bonfire this evening while a was bathing my little one so all the washing I had on the line needs washing again........ho hum!

thanks

Lisa

mizgeorge
15-09-2009, 10:11 PM
You should still be able to loosen it though? Is it chucked or screw fitting?

Lisa Quinn
15-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Hi George,

It's a screw fitting , the quick release device on the handpiece is not releasing it at all and the screw fitting is behind the the jammed shank.(Which is a bit of a silly design in my opinion, I can't be the first person that this has happened to ?)

I'm thinking about sawing the claws off the collet, so that the shank is exposed and trying to grip it with pliers and try to pull it out, which would be a cheaper option than replacing the whole handpiece.

caroleallen
16-09-2009, 08:24 AM
I think I would send it back and say I'm not happy with the design. If you can, I'd then buy a better designed model. I've had mine for years and have never had a problem with it, and it gets loads of abuse every day.

I can't really picture what you're saying, as mine has a quick release handpiece that just has a little flip up device to release the bits.

glen
16-09-2009, 08:37 AM
hi there.
I would recc. first to just be honest with the hubby.
second as others have advised try photograph the broken section so we can offer best advise.

Most decent pendant drills can be unassembled, the hand piece and the shaft seperate from the actual motor to allow periodic servicing and greasing. Once you have the broken hand piece seperated you can probably isolate the problem area and find it is easier to repair once you have better access to it. This will also allow you to see just how much damage there is.

Before you do anything I would recc. getting in touch with the supplier as they may supply you a new part or repair it for you at a discounted price. Some may repair it for you for free. I must stress that if you do try repair it for yourself this may make any warranty void.

hope this helps

Lisa Quinn
16-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Well.... I have completely **~@!*£"! it now, I managed to snip off the collet claws and exposed the shank only for it to remain completely jammed, so I got a little impatient and started yanking the quick release lever backwards and forwards, ( I think I might have been a bit frustrated at this point ) and the whole lever and spring innards leapt out!!

Thanks for all your advice, but quite clearly I am an impatient muppet who would do well to think before acting in future.

I'm going down the secret purchase route, I can't see any point in ruining the pleasure that it gave OH when he got the gift for me.

LoL
Lisa

mizgeorge
16-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Oh dear!

It doesn't sound like a terribly good design though - you should always be able to get a mandrel out of a handpiece.

I find using a keyed chuck irritating, and keep meaning to get a quick release handpiece, but you've rather put me off now!

MuranoSilver
16-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Oh my goodness Lisa,
That handpiece sounds like a real nightmare. Couldn't help it though
the image of the springs flying everywhere.....
http://www.muranosilver.com/images/glen.jpg
Hope everythings sorted soon
nicola x

Di Sandland
16-09-2009, 01:25 PM
PMSL, Nic. I'm sure you could have a career as a cartoonist if you ever get bored with silver (I know, I know, faint hope of that)

bustagasket
16-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Lmao nic you kill me!

Lisa Quinn
16-09-2009, 01:46 PM
OMG...... Nicola, were you hiding behind the laundry pile in the utility room? The cartoon is unbelievably accurate (apart from the cute bum, I've had two kids so that kind of rear end is a long distant memory ~!)

Thanks for cheering me up

Lisa xx

MuranoSilver
16-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Glad it brought a smile to a cruddy day! []