PDA

View Full Version : Is my burner safe?

saadat68
12-08-2017, 12:02 PM
Hi
I have a small melting furnace that works with propane gas cylinder.
I have built a homemade burner for it but I am worry about it's safety.

I added a flashback arrestor to my burner but it didn't work so I remove it. Is it safe without flashback arrestor?

I don't use welding torch or oxygen tank but I use an air blower.
Can blower blows oxygen/air to propane gas tank for example when gas proportion in tank is 5 or 10 percent and pressure is low?

Thanks

Dennis
12-08-2017, 02:20 PM
Burners and torches are manufactured to comply with strict safety regulations.

You may be risking your own safety and that of your neighbours. You might also be invalidating your building insurance. Dennis.

Aurarius
13-08-2017, 12:33 PM
I have to agree with Dennis. Your set-up looks decidedly dodgy. Is there a reason you are trying to do things in this very unconventional and, from the look of things, very unsafe, way?

ps_bond
13-08-2017, 12:52 PM
The forced-air burner style is popular with a number of US smiths (amongst others); I'm not a huge fan of them - no pun intended - as amongst other things, there's no safety to prevent gas getting into the blower and igniting (if, for example, a brownout cuts the fan power). I'd want a flashback on the gas inlet too, but ultimately I far prefer naturally aspirated burners.

I'd suggest getting a T-Rex burner as a safer option - and they can talk you through setup. http://www.hybridburners.com/index.html
I'd be cautious about your local regs on using them too.