PDA

View Full Version : The Link In link Chain.

Dennis
08-08-2017, 08:49 AM
Our main class project last term was to make a link in link chain. This obviously was an attractive idea, because soon there were copper wire experiments going on all around.

Most of my colleagues were making bracelets, but I was in need of a necklace chain for my lotus pendant.

The idea was to make large wire jump rings, using dimensions from experiments in copper. They were then stretched to a loop shape by opening round nose pliers inside them, or using circlip pliers.

Next the loop was folded around a mandrel, a scriber inserted into the two ends and a waist pinched horizontally and vertically with round pliers, to complete the shape.

We were encouraged to use fine silver wire and fuse the joins, because solder tends to interfere with the smooth shaping of the links, but this turned out to be the most difficult part to master, with an unacceptably high failure rate. Were I to do it again, I would hope to be more successful using Argentium.

From my experiments I decided on 80 links. Once made they were easily slipped into each other to grow two pieces of chain with a total length of 72cm, attached to the pendant with jump rings. A hook and lotus bud charm were added to the free ends.

15mm jump rings made from 0.7mm fine silver wire.
Mandrel for link: Stem of 3mm twist drill.
Further reading: Classical Loop In Loop Chains, by Jean Reist Stark and Josephine Reist Stark. Dennis.

-Sally-
08-08-2017, 09:59 AM
That style of chain suits your pendant very well - and each link looks so lovely and even.
Sally

mizgeorge
08-08-2017, 05:44 PM
It's lovely Dennis - I like the link shapes very much. You're absolutely right as well - link in link is much, much easier in argentium!

Dennis
09-08-2017, 03:46 PM
Thank you Sally and George for looking. Dennis.

ShinyLauren
14-08-2017, 06:59 PM
Wow, this looks like it required a lot of patience! The finished necklace is lovely.

Ceri
15-08-2017, 03:18 PM
Lovely work as usual Dennis. When making the chain did you shape each links first loop on the mandrel and the thread through the previous link before making the second loop or did you thread the flat oval through the first link and then shape? It sets off the lotus beautifully.

Dennis
15-08-2017, 04:21 PM
Thank you Lauren and Ceri.
All the links were made first, with the ends prised slightly apart. Then they were linked just with fingers to build two sections of chain. Finally they were pinched again with round pliers where necessary to tidy them up.
Actually I found it quite rewarding to end up with a good strong chain for my purpose. Dennis.