PDA

View Full Version : Newbie waves hello!

Scarlet
31-07-2017, 05:51 PM
Hello all, I'm Scarlet and i live in Wiltshire! I love arts and crafts and before having my twin boys (many moons ago)worked as a clothing designer. My boys are now 18 and about to fly the nest...just finished their A-Levels!! So in preparation I started silversmithing classes last year and I'm hooked! I have a kiln and love enameling and originally started classes so that I could set my pieces and enable me to turn them into something wearable. But the classes have opened up a whole new world and theres lots to do and learn!
I'm looking for some inspiration and also a little help in purchasing some new tools as I've just had a big birthday and I cant wait to spend my birthday money!

Dennis
31-07-2017, 07:35 PM
Hello Scarlet and welcome to the forum.

My advice is always the same:
Start a project and only buy such tools as you will need for it.
Luckily you are in a class, so you will have the opportunity to try out the bigger items before buying them.
However we are always here to give the pros and cons for anything you are undecided about. Dennis.

CJ57
31-07-2017, 09:22 PM
Hi Scarlet, welcome from me too.
Pretty much agree with Dennis or it can get very expensive especially now that you've joined a forum!

Scarlet
31-07-2017, 10:16 PM
Thank you both...I have been toying with buying a drill :eek:

Ceri
31-07-2017, 10:19 PM
Hi Scarlet,

Welcome to the forum...(which could otherwise become a inspirational money pit without the warning words of wisdom from Dennis) So many project ideas and solutions get written on these boards that quite often I find myself thinking I'd like to buy tools I don't actually need and probably wouldn't have heard of otherwise... (they're still on a wish list though!)

Ceri.

Scarlet
31-07-2017, 10:51 PM
You need a drill though, don't you? Ceri s a lovely Welsh name :) ..are you from Wales by any chance?

CJ57
31-07-2017, 11:47 PM
You need a drill though, don't you? Ceri s a lovely Welsh name :) ..are you from Wales by any chance?
Well it depends what you want to make and how often you'd drill holes. I used an Archimedes drill for year, time consuming and tiring. Now I have a lovely little bench drill which makes life so much easier. It's as Dennis says though until you know what you'd like to make spending money on unnecessary kit could bankrupt you. Tool envy is a bit of a drug:)

Scarlet
01-08-2017, 03:49 PM
Well, I'm just a beginner but I'm seriously addicted and I love tools!. Some of the enamel pieces I make need to be hung so drilling holes are a must. I've just started to learn how to tube set stones and am looking at flush setting next. I can't get any practice in at home without a drill and having one for polishing would save some time. I've looked at the Dremel 4000 and then there seems to be quite a Jump to the next price bracket. I've looked at the Foredom SR Jewellers kit and I really fancy that...

CJ57
01-08-2017, 04:32 PM
So that's not a drill as such but a hand held motor that can do many things such as polishing and drilling holes. I always say buy the best you can afford if possible as you seem to quickly find that the more expensive version meets your needs. I think in the many discussions that have been held in the past the dremel is ok as a starter but if you can afford a foredom then that would be the preferred purchase. There are many foredom pendant drill users on here who will give you the low down though, I don't have a pendant motor having recently been given a Foredom Micro motor. I don't use mine for general polishing or drilling though.
It's exciting buying the big things, good luck :)

Ceri
02-08-2017, 12:00 PM
Half Welsh.

Re Dremel 4000. It's a useful tool and I use mine a lot but I can see (with hindsight) how a Foredom or Dremel Fortiflex might have been the better investment in the long run. That said, I also have access to my partners tools which are mainly for carpentry although he does have a pedestal drill I borrow (with my diamond drill bits) when necessary (deep holes in large pieces of metal).
Most of my tools apart from the Dremel are hand tools. On my wish list is a Rolling Mill (saving for a Durston) and a second blow torch, various disc cutters, stakes, punches and mandrels. I tend to pierce my holes before enamelling using a punch and clean any spillage blocking the hole manually with a drill bit or small file.
When I started making, it was a kitchen table operation and as I had no spare room and everything had to be put away before the children came home from school. Then, when I invaded my partners shed, he decided to build me my own out of recycled materials, which is nearing completion and built with a budget of £150, most of which went on the roofing materials. Electrics go in this weekend! I can now look at investing in more durable tools and building a proper workshop space as my elder children are in their early teens and want to learn too.
I would say work out what your long term plan is, whether you can have a dedicated workbench and what space you have and then you can work out which tools are valuable to you over the longer term.
Best wishes and hope your empty nest doesn't feel to empty when they fly!
Ceri.