PDA

View Full Version : Australian suppliers

MMM Jewellery
14-07-2017, 01:58 PM
Hi
I am moving to Australia from the UK, and I was wondering what suppliers for tools and metals people use? (all two of you!) Also any other tips about smithing in australia (forums etc)
Cheers Matt

pearlescence
14-07-2017, 06:09 PM
I have a good friend in Aus who does silversmithing and pearls. She gets most of her stock from Hong Kong. Where in Aus? Maybe I can put you in touch?

MMM Jewellery
14-07-2017, 06:30 PM
I'll be going to Brisbane.

china
15-07-2017, 05:17 AM
There are a couple of suppliers of tools in Australia one Ajs charges ridiculous prices and the other Gemcuts is good but mainly sells low end tools
most of us buy from overseas,RioGrande etc. As for forums you are already here

MMM Jewellery
15-07-2017, 06:22 AM
Thanks Bob, do you have to pay import duty etc or is there a cost below which its exempt?

china
16-07-2017, 06:05 AM
Import duty is not usually a issue although under new laws GST (same as your VAT) will be applied to online purchases unless you are exempt i.e. you have a ABN (Australian Business Number) in which case there are various methods of paying GST.

pearlescence
16-07-2017, 08:45 AM
Since we can't DM on this forum I have directed my friend to it to join in

DebTcan
21-07-2017, 10:18 AM
Hi Matt. I'm in Canberra in Australia - it's the capital city, but it is way south of Brisbane so it's much colder! I use A&E Metals in Sydney for my wirework and jumprings for a while now. Postage costs from the USA to Australia are huge and it can take up to 4 weeks [emoji852]

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

MMM Jewellery
21-07-2017, 10:52 AM
Thanks DebTcan
I studied in Canberra around 2000, nice place! (originally from NZ). Postage is always going to be a nightmare- I sometimes wonder if setting up a buyers club with a group monthly order could alleviate that somewhat, but the organisation/logistics of it would be tricky, and there mightn't be the scale required to make it worthwhile. Also, interested to see if Amazon could bring down the cost of tools in Oz when they get started.

Anyway, my tools are packed and ready to ship for the big day coming up!

Cheers Matt

china
23-07-2017, 05:59 AM
Amazon in Australia don't hold your breath they they have been coming for over two years they don't even have a location yet

Dennis
23-07-2017, 08:15 AM
Amazon in Australia don't hold your breath they they have been coming for over two years they don't even have a location yet

When they do, they'll contribute hugely to congestion. Their vans are everywhere in London delivering and collecting from collection points. Even our nearest bank has Amazon lockers. Dennis.

copperkowhai
14-08-2017, 11:19 PM
Hi there. I am in NZ and use an Auckland company for my metals. I find it much more economical to buy most of my findings and lighter tools from either Cookson gold or Rio Grande. I imagine delivery times and shipping costs are similar. My parcels cost NZ$8 for packages from Cookson gold and take around 3 weeks to arrive and Rio Grande is around NZ$10 for shipping and takes about 2 weeks. In NZ we can get charged custom duties if our parcels are over NZ$200. I avoid these costs but making sure my parcels (including shipping) are less than this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peter_AUS
31-08-2017, 03:54 PM
Hi there. I am in NZ and use an Auckland company for my metals. I find it much more economical to buy most of my findings and lighter tools from either Cookson gold or Rio Grande. I imagine delivery times and shipping costs are similar. My parcels cost NZ$8 for packages from Cookson gold and take around 3 weeks to arrive and Rio Grande is around NZ$10 for shipping and takes about 2 weeks. In NZ we can get charged custom duties if our parcels are over NZ$200. I avoid these costs but making sure my parcels (including shipping) are less than this.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkI have bought from aemetal.com.au in Sydney. Once you factor in shipping costs it's better to buy local. They also buy back scrap metal as well. I bought a lot of my tools from firemountaingems.com when they had fixed shipping costs, Riogrande.com but higher delivery costs and ottofrei.com also not cheap shipping, expensive tools but high quality. I have just ordered 5 tools from beaducation.com they too have high shipping costs to Australia. But they have a lot of free videos covering most things about jewellery making for the home maker. AJS certainly aren't cheap and also don't have quite a few tools that are what I would consider a normal stocked item, eg brass hammers for stamping. Gemcuts I have been looking at recently don't know much about them.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Peter_AUS
08-09-2017, 10:47 AM
Amazon in Australia don't hold your breath they they have been coming for over two years they don't even have a location yetWill be operating most likely from December 2017, first from Melbourne facility, ord e rs placed with wholesalers and they are recruiting. Read that today. They are also looking for bigger facility for Sydney too. Expect around $200M in sales in first month.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk