PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Approach Shops or Galleries?

agent_44
15-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Hi

Question for those of you who have done this already - how do you think is best to approach shops or galleries. I am not ready to do so yet but plan on doing this when I am.

My plan so far after speaking to one or two galleries on the phone, is to produce a portfolio/brochure of my work, package it up nicely with some business cards, and include a covering letter and maybe my wholesale terms and conditions and post it.

Is there a genreally preferred way of going about it? I am worried that using the post, the might just shove it to one side and forget, but I don;t want to be the pushy salesperson type and quite frankly approaching shops in person terrifies me! :eek:

Di Sandland
15-09-2009, 03:45 PM
I think I would be inclined to telephone and then submit my portfolio. That way you get a named person and it won't just sit in their version of the 'slushpile.'

EmmaRose
15-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Telephone first to see how they like to be approached/ who to address it to. Also find out if you if they do SOR (like most places) if that might be an issue for you.
Send them (by post- though some prefer emails- they will tell you!) couple of GOOD QUALITY printed pictures/ postcards (as opposed to CD- they need to know right away if you are of interest to them) and a wholesale price RANGE (ie from- to). Give it a week or two then ring up (named person), check they recieved info and ask if you could make appointment to show them your work. Take with you a) work with wholesale prices marked on each piece- a small tag b) your brochure c) your price list to leave with them d) your terms and an order form to provide if they want to order. If they say no ask them for feedback! Don't take it personally they may just think your work is not suitable for their particular customer/ market....
hope that helps
Em

Pandanimal
16-09-2009, 10:35 AM
That is very helpful Emma.
This is the point I am at right now with my work. I just need a little extra courage to really go for it! And some decent photos. Why does it scare me so?