PDA

View Full Version : A Venture into Enamelling!

The Bijou Dragon
13-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Well, last night I had a go at copper enamelling (before I go onto Silver Enamelling). Not a bad first time ever and I learned alot but not something I will be doing every day. Might do one or two pieces now and again for focal pieces and such.

I had loads of fun though despite my kit not being space aged :D

My kit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stripypixiesocks/3713764405/
My pendant: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stripypixiesocks/3714575888/

The blue is more of a Navy Blue in natural daylight and the gold looks less beige but I'm happy as it was for me!

Can't wait to have another go!

HMPjewellery
13-07-2009, 10:36 AM
That looks lovely,
you must me very pleased, Im hoping to have a go at enamelling, Ive only done cold (which i love) I tried acid etching for the first time the other day, that was aces! think i may get addicted to it!

Hannah x

wendy
13-07-2009, 02:18 PM
Saw your enamelling on your blog - looks great, did you have to enamel the back of the piece as well or was the metal thick enough? I only ask because I had a go of enamelling some butterflies and it all chipped off after a couple of hours, maybe the enamel was too thick, or it needed to be done on the back as well. I'm still in the process of learning/experimenting so I'll probably figure out the answers to these questions in due course! Currently waiting for one of the enamelling kits to arrive from Cooksons that I ordered last week and getting a bit impatient now!
Wend

The Bijou Dragon
13-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Well, I had another go this afternoon and am really loving how you get a little surprise every time you take it out of the kiln... of the nice variety of course.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stripypixiesocks/3717164674/

Thanks for your kind words :D

I've watched YouTube videos of acid etching... looks exciting!

Enamel flaking off could be that it was too thick or that you had grease or dirt on the blank and over-firing can make it flake off too.

Above .7mm thick and you apparently don't need to counter enamel but I do at the moment because I don't like copper against my skin. If it was Silver I was doing I wouldn't do the back and just clean and shine it later... infact I can't wait to do that! I'm planning on using 1mm sheet silver though as I presume that would be thick enough not to warp but would welcome any advice!

Also, does anyone know if you can use 925 silver for enamelling or do you have to have fine (999?) silver because of the other alloys melting properties?

MuranoSilver
13-07-2009, 04:49 PM
You can use sterling silver but you need to prepare sterling silver first (depletion guilding process).
Heat and pickle your silver piece several times it should look almost white (which means you've raised the fine silver to the surface). Clean the piece well after pickling. If the enamel to be applied is transparent softly burnish the silver with a brass or glass brush because the shine will come through.

Fine silver can be used straight away (as can fired PMC / Silver clay)!

MuranoSilver
13-07-2009, 04:52 PM
P.S> As you seem to be getting into enamelling (and who can blame you your pieces are FAB!) please make sure you use a dust mask when sifting the enamel AND that the area is well ventilated.
You really don't want to inhale the powdered glass hanging in the atmosphere. ;)

Nic x

The Bijou Dragon
13-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the advice, that's brilliant :D ... and thanks for the kind words!

Yep, face masks and ventilation are a must in our household anyway for most things as my OH had respiratory failure a couple of months ago and almost died because he was allergic to the dust on my Parrots feathers (sadly we had to get them re-homed but he's worth it :D ) so it really brought home how lethal even microscopic dust particles can be and glass is particularly nasty!

It's definitely a winter project though I think as it gets so hot... won't need the heating on that's for sure!

My OH reminded me that we watched one of your tutorials on YouTube as well not so long ago (he thinks) :) Thanks for sharing your know-how it's how we've learned what we've learned so far thanks to people like you!

EmmaRose
20-07-2009, 05:41 PM
great first attempt...I gave up on enamel after I kept burning LOL :-D strange as I can cook.....

julie
20-07-2009, 07:03 PM
looks lovely ..

Atelier Ava
24-07-2009, 01:51 PM
What a fantastic freecycle find, lucky you. I picked up one of those hot plate kilns at car boot and nearly left the lid behind, did'nt realise it went with it! A bit further down the line you might consider recycling copper hot water tanks like me. I get them from freecycle, after offering something up first I post a wanted. It is a great way of having endless supplies of copper to play around with, I make all sorts of things with mine, jewellery stands, enamel pictures and jewellery.
Glad you have got the bug! :)
Paula

The Bijou Dragon
24-07-2009, 02:33 PM
What a fantastic freecycle find, lucky you. I picked up one of those hot plate kilns at car boot and nearly left the lid behind, did'nt realise it went with it! A bit further down the line you might consider recycling copper hot water tanks like me. I get them from freecycle, after offering something up first I post a wanted. It is a great way of having endless supplies of copper to play around with, I make all sorts of things with mine, jewellery stands, enamel pictures and jewellery.
Glad you have got the bug! :)
Paula

Oddly enough I was looking for copper water tanks the other day and I came across the ad the lady who I got the stuff from had posted way back in 2007 so I e-mailed her and thanked her again and showed her some of my pieces.

She was over the moon I had gotten in touch and was super pleased that it had gone to a good home :D

Freecycle is a wonderful place sometimes, sadly as its popularity has risen so have the outlandish 'wants' which seem to make up over half of the posts these days *sigh*

Anyway... thanks for the kind words... would love to see some of your jewellery stands though!