PDA

View Full Version : Supportive Families....

Boo
14-09-2009, 10:26 PM
My husband has just referred to me as a "tuppenny ha'penny hammer thumperer". :-D He knows me so well.

Solunar Silver Studio
15-09-2009, 07:31 AM
Ah Boo! Don't you just love 'em!!:rolleyes:

I'm sure he really bursts with pride when he sees what you can do....the little sweeties!! ...they are just so good at telling you, aren't they??:-D Go give him a hug!![]:-D

Emerald
15-09-2009, 09:06 AM
My husband has just referred to me as a "tuppenny ha'penny hammer thumperer". :-D He knows me so well.

yeah well mine has raised the question of me going out and getting a real job not lovin him at all at the mo just spent the last 10 years raising three kids the last just started school give me a break:(|

Solunar Silver Studio
15-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Ouch!...nasty! Try suggesting that you will get a real job if he takes over all the child taming for the next 10 years. Remind him the best years are yet to come...teen-age tantrums...broken romances...GCSE Maths homework...Haha!! And you though mucky nappies and snotty noses were hard work:-"! And I'm sure you would love to sit back of an evening and watch how he copes!! And of course you would divvy up all the housework too....:D

Emerald
15-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Ouch!...nasty! Try suggesting that you will get a real job if he takes over all the child taming for the next 10 years. Remind him the best years are yet to come...teen-age tantrums...broken romances...GCSE Maths homework...Haha!! And you though mucky nappies and snotty noses were hard work:-"! And I'm sure you would love to sit back of an evening and watch how he copes!! And of course you would divvy up all the housework too....:D

mmm cant wait for those days, (teenage). I would happily go out to work if i new there was someone here to look after the kids after school but i dont have any back up and paying childminders etc well you might aswell have just not bothered and himself works till 7-8 most nights as it is and weekends so everything is down to me. I was working last night while he watched the racing on the computer and when he took himself off to bed there was still all the clearing up in the kitchen

oh gosh sorry i could go on for hours and i am totally :offtopic: i have not woken in the best of moods x

bustagasket
15-09-2009, 11:24 AM
yeah i apparently dont work (even tho i go to the arage three days a week to do all his sodding books and paperwork) and the rest of the time i just "play" at jewellery or crafting. (Housework doesnt count lol) Dont get me wrong hes a very hard worker, and has made sure i have had a secure roof over my head for 26 years, but i could so slap him when he says "have you been playing"

Boo
15-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Yep, I think a job swap is definitely in order.

I hasten to add that my husband's name for me was entirely affectionate. He's my single biggest supporter and totally behind what I do.

In fact, when times have been difficult (he lost his job in April without being paid, but he was soon working again, but it still sets you back a great deal) and I've suggested that I should get a proper job, he's the one that talks me out of it.

He was very ill 3½ years ago (I very nearly lost him) and our world changed forever and I now do many things that he used to, as keeping a job down and giving it the effort it needs, is about as much as he can manage - so me being at home to soak up everything he doesn't need to be troubled by is actually vitally important. He perhaps couldn't keep such a demanding job at all if I worked too. So we see ourselves as a complimentary team - striking the right balance between us is very important and me working from home (I do various things, jewellery is only one) fits in with a combined plan. Earlier it was to support our son, now it's to support him.

Solunar Silver Studio
15-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Sounds like you and I picked a couple of the rare good guys then Boo! Strange as it seems...I think facing really awful times together makes you really work out the important things in life and how valuable you are to each other....then other things just seem to fall into place. My hubby has been so supportive - theoretically!! He hasn't got the slightest clue about what I am up to and hasn't an artistic cell in his body - so he is not too good in the quality control or feedback line - but I know he would if he could...as it is he just looks puzzled!!:rofl:

Di Sandland
15-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Mine's a goodun as well! He wasn't years ago but the trials of life together with my illness has forged a very strong bond. Yeah, I get pee'd off with him from time-to-time and vice versa but I am able to say something I never thought I would be able to - I am a happily married woman. It only took 25 years LOL.

When I had to give up my work I went through a bit of a rough patch. I had worked all my life and now I felt surplus to requirements. My pride wouldn't let me drain the benefits system and so I had to find a new way of earning an income. My OH has been supportive throughout all of that and now my various home businesses will bring in enough to allow him to retire in December (he has worked past the age of 65 just to keep us afloat).

Sorry - got all emotional there ;)

Emerald
15-09-2009, 12:24 PM
oh dear sounds like have painted rather a bad picture of him (but he can be an arse) he is not as bad as all that and he works so very hard and i myself sometimes think i should be out working aswell but i no that with the hours he does i wouldent be able to function properly and the kids would suffer terribly, my mum died of cancer 10 years ago and i still miss her terribley and if she was still alive i no my life and my kds would be very different, i seem to have got out the wrong side of the bed today might just crawl back into it lol x

Di Sandland
15-09-2009, 12:30 PM
No Jo, you're just fine. Our feelings about those we love are often all over the place. As my dad used to say, its a very fine line between love and hate and its a line I cross regularly. I just want you to take from this the fact that, if you persevere with something that is basically sound (as I'm sure your relationship is) it gets better. Honest, its true what the oldies always used to tell me - relationships need to be worked at. Sometimes you just don't want to bother but it does get better. Honest.

Emerald
15-09-2009, 12:31 PM
thanks guys you are all lovely (sniff sniff)xx

mizgeorge
15-09-2009, 12:36 PM
What a fantastically hijacked thread!

I'm also very lucky with my OH. He's coped with my quite serious illnesses, and losing a huge chunk of our pension fund through fraud. He was made redundant not that long ago, and doesn't have great prospects of finding anything now, but we're also determined to get through it (as we have done in the past) without resorting to an already abused and overcrowded system.

Jason - you have every right to be incredibly proud of your family.

Di - big up the strong women (and their menfolk ;))

agent_44
15-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Whenever I feel sorry for myself, I read things like this thread and feel like a self centred idiot!

I've been pretty lucky, most friends and family are constantly keeping on for me to start selling my jewellery again. My ex husband was annoyed by it for some reason although keen when he thought it would make us some cash, lol, but my OH now is really supportive, giving me a room just for me to work in when I move to his!

Ominicci
15-09-2009, 04:53 PM
My hubby has been so supportive - theoretically!! He hasn't got the slightest clue about what I am up to and hasn't an artistic cell in his body - so he is not too good in the quality control or feedback line - but I know he would if he could...as it is he just looks puzzled!!:rofl:

Sounds like mine too!!

Yes we have got my redundancy money which should pay the mortgage for a couple of years, but he WANTS me to 'play' and make a go of it even if I don't make money from it. He really is a gem too.

kymbi
15-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Looks like we're quite a lucky bunch with supportive friends and family :D

I feel blessed that I have a supportive OH. He's been through hell with my ill-health which resulted in my early retirement at 45 from a well paid job and the subsequent drop in income. However, he supports and encourages me in doing something I love and would rather have me broke-but-incredibly happy than ill-and-working in an office.

Mind you, one of my nickname's is Del-boy by OH and son - ok, ok, so I work at a market in south London 2 days a week....but not a suitcase in sight ;)

caroleallen
15-09-2009, 06:05 PM
My DH is very long-suffering. He always supports me by coming to craft fairs to help set up etc. He sometimes gets his head bitten off when I'm stressed, but is always understanding. Only problem is he wants to be a bit too hands on sometimes and help make the jewellery but can be a bit slap-dash. I usually have to re-do everything when he's gone. I do appreciate him most of the time though.

Di Sandland
15-09-2009, 06:05 PM
Mind you, one of my nickname's is Del-boy by OH and son - ok, ok, so I work at a market in south London 2 days a week....but not a suitcase in sight ;)

Now, about that SatNav you sold me...

Boo
15-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Husband's helping make things {{{{{ shudder }}}}}.

He's a total sweetheart helping me in many ways - he posted my orders out in his lunch hour today, comes to all fairs with me, has helped make display materials etc. - but getting his pinkies on the metal (or worse, my tools) would be a stage too far. I've seen his DIY. :rofl:

bustagasket
15-09-2009, 06:49 PM
lmao oh bless him i think thats rather lovely!

The Dragon
15-09-2009, 09:59 PM
I have to say my OH is supportive so long as it doesn't involve much in the way of physical effort from him. He will quite happily discuss things with me, give me his opinion and plays the Devil's A but on the whole he just doesn't understand really, he doesn't have a romantic bone in his body I'm afraid. #-o

He is very good at staying out from under my feet though - I just wish he'd learn to put his shirts in the wash ready for me to iron when I come home from work on a Sunday afternoon. :(|

Ominicci
16-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Just leave them without washing one week and he might get the message lol?? Mine does his own ironing, has done since we both worked full time. Lived on his own for a while between wives and looked after all 3 of his young kids on his own when he had them every other weekend...he can cook...use the washing machine...tumble drier...does DIY...gardening...the only thing he doesn't really do is cleaning, esp the bathroom and toilet.