PDA

View Full Version : Burning Question

Ellen
16-05-2017, 09:57 PM
Good evening, does anyone have experience in using a Rothenberger Roxy Torch, I was very fortunate in receiving one from Santa, but after using it, for what felt like a very short while, the oxygen tank ran out!! These tanks are pretty expensive to replace, and as such I'm pretty reluctant to do so, especially if they don't last that long! Is this normal for them to run out before the gas, or am I doing something wrong? ( I know, how long is a piece of string?)
Thank you, for any response

Dennis
17-05-2017, 01:06 AM
One reason people get an Oxycon, I suppose. Dennis.

Aurarius
17-05-2017, 05:49 PM
I don't know how many hours you can expect to get from a small tank like that, but I think it's safe to say not enough for the money. Oxygen refills may be cheaper in the States and Europe than here.; like a lot of things, I suspect so. The way to go is probably Oxycon, as Dennis says. I've got one, as have many forum members.

Ellen
18-05-2017, 07:51 AM
Thanks Dennis, would that be a Smith little torch system?

Ellen
18-05-2017, 07:54 AM
Thank you Aurarius, I had my blinkers on when I badgered my hubby into buying me a Rothenberger

ps_bond
18-05-2017, 08:06 AM
The little Rothenberger cylinders are very limiting - they're only 110 bar and have a runtime of about 20 mins according to some.
At £45 per refill that probably makes them the most expensive way of buying oxygen yet.
It may be possible to plumb an oxygen concentrator into the system if you didn't want to jump to a Little Torch. Equally, there's a lot can be done with a decent propane torch or there's mouth-blown torches will give you a hotter flame (expired air still being around 14-15% O2). Flamefast do (or did) a dinky little torch with an aquarium air pump to give air/fuel.

Ellen
18-05-2017, 08:17 AM
Thank you Peter, I originally bought the Rothenberger to make melting scrap quicker/easier, which it did, but it just hasn't lasted very long ��. So I may consider selling it to get a Little torch ��, (just don't tell the hubby).