PDA

View Full Version : Soldering tiny silver balls

Emmawykes
26-04-2017, 06:44 AM
Hello,

Has anyone got any advice about soldering multiple tiny silver balls onto a ring - is this possible?

Thanks,
Emma

Dennis
26-04-2017, 09:15 AM
Dear Emma,
It is quite possible and has been done for centuries, using the technique called Granulation. The base has little pits for the balls and is copper plated first, by placing it in well-used pickle with an iron nail. Then it is painted with gum tragacanth which sticks the balls in place. Heating this, burns the glue away and fuses the balls in place.

For a simplified method, you can mix a pinch of tragacanth substitute (edible tylose powder, available online) into your flux. Auflux/Auroflux is best. Dip your balls in that and they will stay, provided the slope is not too steep.

Add a tiny, tiny pallion of solder to each, or prime deepish pits with pre melted solder. Then heat slowly and the glue will burn away as the solder melts.

If you have a steep slope, only do about thee balls at a time incase they roll off. Dennis.

Emmawykes
03-05-2017, 06:50 PM
Thank you Dennis :-)

CJ57
03-05-2017, 07:14 PM
Having done some recently I've found that solder paste worked really well and held the balls in place. I used a tooth pick to take a small amount of paste and just set the balls on and they stayed in place

Emmawykes
16-05-2017, 12:33 PM
Thanks Caroline, that's really helpful

CJ57
16-05-2017, 04:03 PM
Thanks Caroline, that's really helpful

And they are still in place:) I know it's not the proper way to do granulation but it worked so I'll go with that!