PDA

View Full Version : Degreasing stones for gluing

Susie
09-04-2017, 09:35 AM
I've got some relatively cheap cabochons I would like to glue in to some bezel cups before rubbing over. Can't seem to buy 5mm round cups that are the exact size. They are always 5.5mm so too big. I've got some araldite but need to degrease both before gluing.

How do you degrease the bottom of the stones? What do you use?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dennis
09-04-2017, 01:23 PM
It is not that difficult to make your own bezel cups, Suzie and provide yourself with something that fits. Many of us would talk you through it, but ill fitting bezels will always look sub standard.

However to answer your question, you would not expect to degrease gem stones unless they are heavily contaminated.

If you really need to degrease you can wash them in liquid detergent solution followed by rinsing and drying.

However some gem stones have been enhanced with oil and will look milky or show cracks if de-greased.

Alternatively you can just key the bottoms with a diamond burr, or by rubbing them on a diamond sharpening plate: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3pc-Professional-Diamond-Whetstone-Stone-Sharpening-Set-Coarse-Extra-Fine-E2500-/181807124693 Dennis.

jortein
10-04-2017, 04:18 AM
Use a ultra sonic?

china
10-04-2017, 05:22 AM
----Metho----

ps_bond
10-04-2017, 07:09 AM
----Metho----

Methylated spirits/denatured alcohol over here I think.
Not good for a number of stones though.

Susie
10-04-2017, 08:40 AM
Perfect. Thanks all.

Dennis - I make bezel settings for larger stones but as I have a number of 5mm to make, I wanted it to be slightly quicker.

I'll try meths and see how I get on.

Dennis
10-04-2017, 01:07 PM
Rashbel has 0.3mm walled tubing for rub down settings (and other sizes too). It could be just right, but if tight could be quickly enlarged on a mandrel.

http://www.rashbel.co.uk/sterling-silver-925-round-tube-5-50mm-0-3mm-wall.html Dennis.

Susie
10-04-2017, 02:12 PM
Perfect. Thanks Dennis. That seems like a better way to go.

Susie
10-04-2017, 02:13 PM
Thanks Peter. I seem to remember someone mentioning surgical spirit for degreasing metal. But i'll go with the meths.

Thanks again.

Snorkmaiden
11-04-2017, 10:05 AM
Can I ask is araldite the recommended glue for jewellery? I have some E6000 for costume jewellery but not tried it on gemstones. Is it possible to un-glue them later?

Dennis
11-04-2017, 12:12 PM
There isn't really a recommended glue for jewellery, because traditionally gem stones are set by capturing them with metal.

However two part epoxy resins, of which Araldite is one, are sometimes used for their reliability and water resistance. It's best to chose one that sets completely clear.

Some members recommend gel cyanoacrylate, or superglue, which sets very fast and is less easy to manage.

Glues affect the brilliance of translucent stones and are quite difficult to apply so as to remain invisible.

The adhesion can be undone by heating, or with solvents, provided the stones can be prised out before they become damaged. Dennis.

Aurarius
11-04-2017, 05:01 PM
Thanks Peter. I seem to remember someone mentioning surgical spirit for degreasing metal. But i'll go with the meths.

Thanks again.

I use cotton wool with a bit of lighter fuel on it for degreasing metal, stones, and leather. It is very clean and leaves no stain. I've not heard of it producing any untoward effects on certain stones, and never encountered any problems on any stones I've ever used it on. I suppose, though, it could interact unfavourably with opals or pearls, for example, if the lighter fuel ends up washing grease or dirt into cracks or scratches.

Among other things, lighter fuel is very good at removing sticky tape residue.

Susie
11-04-2017, 05:07 PM
I think I will try a variety of methods

metalsmith
11-04-2017, 05:56 PM
I've got some relatively cheap cabochons I would like to glue in to some bezel cups before rubbing over.

If you don't glue them in you will have the opportunity to learn good technique whilst working on relatively cheap cabochons.

Alternatively go ahead with glue. Either use epoxy or CA (superglue). The cheaper epoxys yellow. Some cheaper epoxy will burn off at quite a low temp as will CA. Caution! Fumes!!

CA is stock-in trade use for lapidary. If you're gluing into cups, you shouldn't need much time for movement. Kept cool / stones with high polish will give a bit longer and to buy a bit more time put an extra drop on (at the start).

metalsmith
11-04-2017, 05:57 PM
For degreasing try acetone (but not with dyed stones).

Faith
12-04-2017, 07:53 PM
Among other things, lighter fuel is very good at removing sticky tape residue.

Ooo good tip!

What about HypoCement? This stuff: http://www.cooksongold.com/Beads/G-s-Hypo-Cement-Adhesive-Un1133-prcode-998-339A Really early on in my return to Jewellery I wanted to fix a marcasite necklace that was missing one tiny marcasite stone and google advised me to use that - I didn't think marcasite was ever set like other stones but could be wrong - anyway I found it good, made a very tidy job, but I don't know if it works with other gemstones?

Faith

Dennis
12-04-2017, 10:41 PM
As this thread is still running, you might like to browse below.
Many of these products are available in UK: http://www.firemountaingems.com/resources/encyclobeadia/charts/glues

Susie
26-04-2017, 07:49 PM
Just wanted to follow up with this.
I went into Cooksons and bought the Araldite clear which worked perfectly. I previously used Devcon 5 minute epoxy and it never came out in equal amounts. It's so massive, it's a bit difficult to control for tiny jobs.
So Araldite clear is the absolute winner for me.

mizgeorge
26-04-2017, 10:18 PM
I know this is probably a bit late now, but might be useful for others - to get equal, smaller amounts of devcon from a double syringe system, invert the whole thing so the base of the handle is on a flat surface and gently press down. A small blob should safely emerge from each nozzle, which can then be easily transferred to your mixing pad.

Dennis
27-04-2017, 10:12 AM
Just wanted to follow up with this.
I went into Cooksons and bought the Araldite clear which worked perfectly. I previously used Devcon 5 minute epoxy and it never came out in equal amounts. It's so massive, it's a bit difficult to control for tiny jobs.
So Araldite clear is the absolute winner for me.

Thank you for letting us know Susie, but the problem is with the dispensing, not the quality of the glues, which are all fit for purpose. Even when dispensing from two tubes, the nozzles eventually get blocked with partially set glue and the caps won't go back on. Dennis.