PDA

View Full Version : Domain name?

fi79
14-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Hi again,

Quick question - if you sign up to a website hoster like Mr Site or Do Your Own Site and register a domain name but then decide down the line that you don't like it (the service, not the name) and want to change to another hoster or get a professional to do it - can you take the domain name with you??

I'm quite clueless with all this stuff. Sorry!! :confused:

Di Sandland
14-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Short answer is yes . Usually you buy a domain name for one or two years after which time you have to renew it by paying more money. You can take it with you wherever you go. You just transfer it to your new webhost.

fi79
14-09-2009, 08:04 PM
That was speedy!!!! :ta:

Di Sandland
14-09-2009, 08:04 PM
It must be the sanatogen!

agent_44
14-09-2009, 08:20 PM
I would check the terms and conditions of Mr Site re transfers away from them. I had trouble once with a US based host and lost my .com when they left them because of their dubious terms regarding this. Luckily for me I also had the .co.uk and the .com expired eventually and I now have it back.

Solunar Silver Studio
14-09-2009, 08:25 PM
I think some hosts can be a bit awkward though...I did a bit of research before going for Mr Site and there were quite a few people on various review forums who were moaning about having trouble transferring. I think it is best to check the blurb before you sign up...they actually often say that there is no problem you taking your name with you should you wish to move on...

geti-titanium
14-09-2009, 08:41 PM
Can you have a Mr. Site website using a name registered elsewhere so that you don't have a problem transferring?

Ominicci
14-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Yes you can. Mine is. I obtained it through my brother who is a web programmer and has his own servers. There is an option on the MrSite registration where you tick a box to say you want to use your own domain. There is also the option to transfer it to them, but I didn't do that.

Boo
15-09-2009, 05:25 AM
I would have thought that buying your domain elsewhere and using it to direct to your Mr Site site would be more flexible and future proof - if that's possible.

Be aware that some hosts may charge you for services like transferring out etc. Generally, if the domain is cheap to buy, they often charge for non-standard extra services like that. If you pay more to start with, you're less likely to get secondary charges of that nature.

So please read the terms very carefully before you commit to buy anything.

fi79
15-09-2009, 08:21 AM
I'll get my magnifying glass out for the small print!!! Thanks everyone!