PDA

View Full Version : Hammering a platinum band

marionjb
23-03-2017, 09:20 AM
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could advise me. I am purchasing 2 platinum wedding bands at trade for friends and she would like a hammered finish on hers. Is this easy enough to achieve with platinum and also will the metal spread much? Should I order a half size smaller?

Thank you!

Marion

Dennis
23-03-2017, 10:27 AM
Marion, you can't actually predict how much the rings will enlarge. When you have achieved the texture you want, be prepared to re-size them.

An alternative might be to file random flat facets to keep the size unchanged. You could also experiment with a copper or brass ring first, to get a better idea of what might happen. Dennis.

marionjb
23-03-2017, 10:45 AM
Thanks for your quick reply Dennis!

And good thinking on the facets! I presume it would be easier to size up than down if the end result does need changing? She is a size L so was planning on ordering a K 1/2 as it is a fairly light hammered texture. Or is there not much point in guessing?

Thanks again,
Marion

trialuser
23-03-2017, 10:55 AM
I've recently made my first platinum ring, so to answer your questions.
Yes a hammered finish is easy to achieve.
Yes it will stretch, as Dennis says, its hard to predict the exact amount, personally I would allow at least size.
I would be reluctant to do too much filing at forty odd quid a gram :)
I stretched mine up by about a size just by forging a gentle dome on the outer face as I wanted to keep the weight of metal intact.
I assume bought blanks are cast so I don't know if they would behave any differently.
I would definitely go for smaller to start with and stretch up, if you get it too big and have to cut a bit out and re weld you will need a decent torch and some eye protection.
If you make it smaller by using a ring reduced you will mangle the lovely facets you have just made

Edit - our posts overlapped. If it is only an L, and only a light hammer, then half a size may be OK.
Mine was Z+4!

Ceri
24-03-2017, 02:12 PM
Hi Marion,

As an addendum to trialuser's comments, eye protection wise you need at least shade 6 preferably shade 7 to work with platinum and unfortunately Cooksongold don't seem to sell anything above a 5. I am all googled out looking for anything above a 5 in goggles and have decided to invest in a welding mask which covers shades 5 to 11 as it's the only protection I could find that was adequate! Funnily enough, I am just about to embark on my first platinum adventure having just inherited 2 platinum wedding rings.

marionjb
30-03-2017, 10:45 AM
Thank you to you all!

I have ordered a full size smaller and if I end up needing it sized after hammering I will use another jeweller to adjust. Not venturing into the world of platinum long term yet to invest in all the eye protection and solder etc.

Dennis
30-03-2017, 11:48 AM
Much better to keep checking with your ring stick, distribute the dents evenly, and stop hammering when you reach the desired size. Dennis.