PDA

View Full Version : Snake Chains - long or short?

Snorkmaiden
20-03-2017, 11:39 AM
Hi Everyone,

Fashion question for you.

In December I made a pendant for a friend - about 1" in diameter and she chose an 18" snake chain. I could tell she fancied a longer chain, but I don't stock any longer than that because I think long snake chains look a little odd. I might be biased on account of not being able to wear anything longer than 17" myself. She has now asked me to source a longer one. Cookson have a 24" snake chain. I'm reluctant to buy it and find it looks wrong, though I know she would pay for it whatever.

Is it just me? Or does the longer length ruin the gentle curve you get?

mizgeorge
20-03-2017, 12:56 PM
I happily wear a snake chain up to 24" - though I have a fairly fat neck and find anything under 18" uncomfortable. For longer chains, I tend to go for something with links that will give me a better V shape - usually a belcher or similar.

I keep loose snake to make up chains to order, and get asked for far more long chains - from 20" to 30" than short. These are always fairly slim chains (up to 1.2mm) as I think they are more flexible and will dip to a V rather than U curve as long as the pendant is of reasonable weight.

Dennis
20-03-2017, 01:14 PM
I think the length of chain is partially dictated by the occasion and the shape of neckline it will be worn with.

As George has said, you need not necessarily be tied to snake chain, and you might consider buying chain loose. Snake chain is not that strong and if put away carelessly can be kinked. so for really long necklaces in snake I go for 1.6mm.

Most of my necklaces are also made adjustable, by adding an extension finished with a charm as in my picture below. This gives the wearer more options and leaves you free to watch telly. Dennis.

Snorkmaiden
20-03-2017, 03:08 PM
Thanks Mizgeorge. Good point. Might try her with a thin snake chain.

Snorkmaiden
20-03-2017, 03:14 PM
Thanks Dennis. Yes, loose trace chain and an extension is my preference too. She made me swap it to a snake. Love the charm by the way - I just bung a pearl on the end.
I could give her a really long extension chain for a while and see if she still wants a long snake?
I have a drawer full of kinked snake chains waiting to be recycled.
How did you know I was watching telly?

CJ57
20-03-2017, 06:46 PM
Long chains are very much on trend just now I believe and there are many reasons why women like longer chains. I find what's right for me, scrawny neck, is a choker on someone else or an in between length may not lie properly if a woman is a bit better endowed than another and you need that extra length to get it to hang where the customer wants it. Neck and chest measurements all come into the mix and you can't be rigid about it. I'm making a lot longer chains too.
I buy most of my chains loose too but a thin snake is really fragile and a thicker one will curve. Does she know there are many styles of chain more suitable to create what she wants, it might be worth showing her the range if she's happy to pay for it?

Snorkmaiden
21-03-2017, 10:46 AM
Thanks CJ57.
Yes it wouldn't take long before it kinked would it. I usually stick to belcher or trace, and would happily make up any length with that. Just a bit worried it is my own bias - after a lot of surgery I wouldn't wear anything that long and curvy. Sounds like it is a popular look at the moment.

lucy.rawcliffe
25-03-2017, 03:49 PM
Try a spiga? Similar look to snake but much more fluid x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tabby66
25-03-2017, 09:24 PM
Long is very definitely a popular choice at the moment as Caroline has said. I would avoid snake for this unless specifically requested (and then would advise against). There are a variety of styles and weights of chain available. Remember, they just pop over the head too, so loose chain is a great option for tailoring length ;)

Snorkmaiden
26-03-2017, 10:57 PM
Thanks everyone. I caved. She has her snake chain even if I don't like it.