PDA

View Full Version : Protective floor covering

Ruedeleglise
08-03-2017, 08:41 AM
Or to be more precise, a covering to go over carpet to protect it and enable the easier retrieval of dropped bits and pieces! I work in an upstairs room which was a bedroom. It is well carpeted and it would be impractical (and very unpopular!) to rip it up. Apart from that the room is also my study so the other half of the room can be comfortable. I do of course a lot of soldering so even though I have made a good fire proof area on the bench it is always possible to drop something hot, so I suppose the covering should be both protective and heat resistant. Any ideas from any of you?
David.....ruedeleglise

Dennis
08-03-2017, 09:00 AM
Hi, some of us have the Ikea floor protection sheets: They resist very hot objects, only forming slight ridges with heat.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/chairs-stools-benches/office-chairs/kolon-floor-protector-art-44881100/.

In my case I have two, so as to extend the covering to my bench peg area. I have perforated the adjacent edges with my Black and Decker and laced them together with cable ties to keep them together.

The only problem is that the floor discolours around them due to an electrostatic effect, so your carpet will never be the same again. Dennis.

Ruedeleglise
08-03-2017, 10:00 AM
Thanks Dennis. How thick is this ? Ideally I need to be able to shuffle a stool with casters across the joint...with me on it! Oppps just seen the link. Looks good. Many thanks.

Dennis
08-03-2017, 01:44 PM
It's 2mm thick, as you probably found out and I've ridden over it for about 11years with my office stool. The weak link is the cable tie connection, as they sometimes give way. Dennis.

Wallace
08-03-2017, 02:27 PM
just a point of note, little things bounce off these and they can end up in places you might not have expected! They are great though

Dennis
08-03-2017, 07:33 PM
Like when eating peas d'you mean?

Wallace
08-03-2017, 08:21 PM
Like when eating peas d'you mean? petit pois in my house ;)

Ruedeleglise
16-03-2017, 10:53 AM
Have now installed my sheet. Great. Thanks for the advice.
Oui c'est aussi petit pois chez nous.....as you would expect from my nom de plume!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dennis
16-03-2017, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the feed back, always appreciated, even though you eat those foreign sounding peas. Dennis.

BurningKrome
17-03-2017, 12:02 PM
I've been using this...
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01619L4CQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dennis
17-03-2017, 06:26 PM
Oh no. What's the German for peas?