PDA

View Full Version : Blank length required for making bangles

johnowhetton
27-02-2017, 11:26 AM
Hi guys and gals,
I have been asked to make a silver bangle. I am awaiting the customers size. Could anyone tell me the formula I would need to use to work out how long I will need my length of silver to be allowing for the thickness of the metal etc.

Thanks
john

Dennis
27-02-2017, 12:20 PM
With bangles you can assume that the blank will be about 20-24 cm long. The thickness for that length will not make a great deal of difference, but if in doubt, send a simple prototype in copper to confirm.

enigma
28-02-2017, 07:39 PM
Bangles can be a pain to get correct sizing from customers so I generally ask them to go to a local jewellers and be properly measured these days as all my customers are online in other countries.
Failing that I stress how important it is that they measure correctly and that I will charge for altering if they get it wrong and send them a link:
http://www.essentially-silver.com/Articles.asp?ID=250
This one also helps you work out the blank size:
http://www.goldpalace.com/page/GPJI/MEASUREMENT

You can also get disposable bangle sizers but they aren't quite as easy to use as ring sizers so i still prefer if they can be professionally measured.

n362771
03-07-2017, 09:29 PM
I,m trying to make a 6.3 diameter bangle out of 6mm sterling silver,how do l work out the circumfrance taking into account the thickness of the wire

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

Dennis
04-07-2017, 01:19 AM
If 6.3 is the internal diameter, add half the thickness on each side and multiply by pi. That is use a diameter of 69mm, times 3.14. Which gives a length of 216.6 or 217mm. Dennis.

That said it would make a rather hefty and unattractive bangle and you would struggle to solder it unless you have a very large torch.

You might consider using thinner oval or rectangular wire, keeping it wide for show but only 2-3mm thick. You could even use patterned wire.
In many ways the recipient would have more of a display by wearing two thinner ones together.

I hope you are not offended. Dennis.

n362771
04-07-2017, 05:07 AM
Not offended at all,thanks for the tip

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

Dennis
06-07-2017, 08:16 AM
I think maths is not your strong point ava, but then you are only a few centimetres out. Dennis