PDA

View Full Version : Binding wire and pickeling

Ruedeleglise
11-02-2017, 11:31 AM
I have a reel of stainless binding wire. Should this be secured around the pieces to be soldered after pickling or as it is stainless can it be pickled in situ? A terribly basic question, sorry!

Unhindered
11-02-2017, 11:32 AM
Remove before putting in the pickle otherwise it will contaminate it and everything will turn pink! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruedeleglise
11-02-2017, 11:35 AM
Thanks. I thought so but had doubts as it was stainless. Thanks for that immediate reply!

Nick martin
11-02-2017, 12:12 PM
Nothing in the pickle ever.. other than the piece and maybe some plastic / brass tweezers to remove the item.

Nick

Dennis
11-02-2017, 09:31 PM
Stainless steel binding wire and stainless steel tweezers will not necessarily turn silver pink when dipped in pickle, but sometimes they do.

I suspect that this related to how much the solution has been used and therefore the concentration of copper sulphide in it.

To reverse the process, a simple remedy is pour in some hydrogen peroxide. Used pickle can also disguise the colour of silver solder on copper pieces, if you drop in some iron.

Incidentally, titanium tweezers are safe in pickle. Dennis.

Ruedeleglise
12-02-2017, 07:55 PM
So the jury seems to be out! I will test both opinions and report back!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CJ57
12-02-2017, 09:13 PM
I will admit that's why I thought it possible to buy stainless steel binding wire as well as iron. I tend to throw it in on occasion because I'm in a hurry and I haven't tested the safety of stainless steel, it's usually my bad luck for it to be the other stuff!

Dennis
12-02-2017, 09:40 PM
Correction to my post asbove, the blue colour that develops in pickle with use is due to the formation of copper sulphate
I need an editor. Dennis.