PDA

View Full Version : Stardust finish - how?

corryvreckan
13-09-2009, 04:52 PM
I've been asked to create a Stardust finish wedding ring for a client. I've now found out what it looks like but can't find any information on how it's done. It looks like the sort of finish you can achieve by accident if you use a rough stone dremel tool, but it can't be that surely! I've also seen a reference to a needle coated mop, sounds dangerous. Does anyone know how it's done?

The Bijou Dragon
13-09-2009, 04:55 PM
I've seen it done with a diamond tipped dremel tool by a very wonderful man we watched a few videos from recently.

It's a beautiful finish.

Edit - On second thoughts, it's not the 'Stardust finish' I have seen just now when looking it up!

Edit - I just found this:

Stardust is a type of metal finishing effect created by etching a surface with a laser. The laser treatment roughs up the surface and causes it to catch light in a different way than smooth polished metal. The appearance is a frosted look.

caroleallen
13-09-2009, 07:27 PM
You can get a frosting wheel to go on your polisher or Dremel. It sort of roughs up the surface. Although I've got one, I don't use it a lot as it's quite hard to keep the item clean. I much prefer to get texture by passing the metal through a rolling mill with a bit of kitchen paper or something.

corryvreckan
13-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Thanks to you both, very useful indeed! I don't like the finish myself but each to their own! I'll have to have a go on silver first before moving onto the wedding band.