PDA

View Full Version : Beauty and the beast

caroleallen
13-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Well I've finally got round to tidying my workshop (yes, that's tidy, you should have seen it before) and the pictures are in my profile. The beast is the guillotine. It's still sitting on its table at the moment!

bustagasket
13-09-2009, 02:59 PM
oooooooo ooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooo runs off to take a look

Kalorlo
13-09-2009, 03:05 PM
*Has workshop jealousy*

bustagasket
13-09-2009, 03:07 PM
OMG OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG =:-O

I am in love with your workshop!!!!:<3:

That is an amazing space and so nicely organised, everywhere has its own area. The guillotine looks scary but i just wanna move in there, do you take squatters?!!!:worthy:

I am totally in awe and full of admiration.:":

The Bijou Dragon
13-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Well I've finally got round to tidying my workshop (yes, that's tidy, you should have seen it before) and the pictures are in my profile. The beast is the guillotine. It's still sitting on its table at the moment!

I'm never speaking to you ever again *sobs*

Joke ;)

I am so jealous!!! =:-O

julie
13-09-2009, 03:18 PM
now thats what i call a workshop :Y: ... nice

caroleallen
13-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Come and play any time you're in Cornwall. I have to admit that I do love it. My little sanctuary.

bustagasket
13-09-2009, 03:26 PM
*runs off to pack a case*

Di Sandland
13-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Oh my word, what a beautiful place to work!

MuranoSilver
13-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Whoa now THAT is a well laid out and well stocked workshop....
Fabulous place to work :)
Nic x

julie
13-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Come and play any time you're in Cornwall. I have to admit that I do love it. My little sanctuary.

be careful we might "ALL" take you up on that offer ...[[]]

Rustic Charm
13-09-2009, 04:13 PM
i don't think i like you anymore!!!:(
only joking!!
my little "shed" will look like a wendy house compared to your workshop!!):'(

lorraineflee
13-09-2009, 04:17 PM
I am so jealous, all that space and a Bonny Doon press too!!:'(:'(
Lorraine

mizgeorge
13-09-2009, 04:34 PM
I reckon you've got about as much space in metres as I have in feet ;)

And it must have taken ages to get it looking as fab as that - well done you!

(The tool envy's kicking in a bit though)

carole h
13-09-2009, 04:57 PM
:Y: you lucky lucky girl am green with envy!!!!!!!!:)

kymbi
13-09-2009, 06:55 PM
oooooooh, great space you lucky devil :D

Dear Santa.....

lesley
13-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Oooooo what a fab workshop! It must be great to work in lots of space with lots of kit.

Lindyloo
13-09-2009, 08:43 PM
I can't even speak. It's so great. I would be scared to mess it up.

The Dragon
13-09-2009, 11:47 PM
OMG you've taken my dream workshop and made it real !!!I-)

All I need now is a lottery win to buy my own - except I don't gamble - I'm just going to have to be jealous instead. :worthy:

Where did I put the kleenex - sniff.

bustagasket
14-09-2009, 06:02 AM
I showed hubby last night, just to give him a hin, and he said - "thats kitchen cupboards and a work top, and so i said "Yes that will do me too" doubt he will take the hint tho lol, all i got was "kurt could clear that room for you" and i dropped it cos he dont need a reason to dig at kurt lol

caroleallen
14-09-2009, 06:35 AM
He just needs to see that you'll make money out of it in the end. That's my hubby's motivation. Works wonders!

bustagasket
14-09-2009, 06:40 AM
do we share the same families?? lol he says hes ok about the money i have spent and then moans to my sons and everyone lol I know he wants me to sell stuff, but i am terrified and i only have a couple of pieces. I know i should sell my candles and stuff more actively too, but i just run from it, even tho i am over the moon if someone wants one.

Boo
14-09-2009, 06:42 AM
I just called my husband over to look at it and even he went "woaah, lucky b**** - you'd never emerge if you had one of those to escape to and play in."

It looks totally fabulous - as someone else said - that's my dream workshop made real. I'd have a third area with photography gear and computers too - and in an ideal world, a little reception/display area to receive potential customers too.

Well done, it looks amazing.

caroleallen
14-09-2009, 06:48 AM
Little acorns Su. That's where I was a few years back. It's surprising how your confidence grows, the more you do. I started out in the spare bedroom with just a little table and a tiny kit. My studio and kit has been bought entirely with money I've made on making jewellery, so you see it is possible. :)

bustagasket
14-09-2009, 06:56 AM
yes i always put any money made from the craftng straight back in but i have definately used savings for setting up the jewellery tools, although my tumbler will be paid back this week when i deliver the candles to the bike rally, getting my stuff ut there is definately gonna be my biggest hurdle

Di Sandland
14-09-2009, 07:14 AM
Little acorns Su. That's where I was a few years back. It's surprising how your confidence grows, the more you do. I started out in the spare bedroom with just a little table and a tiny kit. My studio and kit has been bought entirely with money I've made on making jewellery, so you see it is possible. :)

Carole, as somebody who has made a success of her business, how about a little write up of how you got where you are today? I'm not thinking in terms of book-length or anything, just something that will show worriers and self-doubters that, despite the obstacles, it is possible.

amazingbabe
14-09-2009, 09:20 AM
Oh that would be wonderful xx:~:

Emerald
14-09-2009, 09:23 AM
Love the workshop Carole now i want to see it messy like it is in real life lol:D

caroleallen
14-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Blimey Di! How do you gauge success? I only feel I'm halfway to where I'd like to be. I've still got so much more to learn.

There's not much to tell. I started off doing evening classes for several years and then it all turned into an obsession, which from reading everyone else's posts, is common. I did my first craft fair one Christmas and found that I actually sold quite a lot so continued to do them. I gave up my part time job 3 years ago to concentrate on jewellery making and now work harder than ever.

My biggest break was when I started selling with Notonthehighstreet. They were in their infancy then and as one of their first jewellers, I've always managed to be one of their best sellers, so they promote my work in their brochures. I've also done some higher end craft fairs which raises the profile.

The answer really is to believe in yourself and keep aiming higher. I don't think I'll ever think my work is good enough, which is no bad thing really as I don't get complacent.

Di Sandland
14-09-2009, 03:50 PM
That's all I wanted! And, yes, in terms of some folk on here you are successful. Just think back to those early days - did you ever imagine you would be in the position you're in now? No, course you didn't - all things are relative, see.

And, from my point of view - the minute you think you know it all is the minute to give up - whatever venture you're involved in.

I think your stuff is beautiful - delicate and beautifully crafted and, for somebody who couldn't do delicate if her life depended on it, that's aspirational ;)

bustagasket
14-09-2009, 04:17 PM
agreed, i love caroles stuff and shes obviously worked dam hard to get there, as i imagine all of you siccessful people do, a great inspiriation for us noobies. (And shes a bloody nice lady too :P)

agent_44
14-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Carole your workshop is amazing, I shall join the realms of jealous, jealous people!

Ominicci
14-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Carole, thanks for the inspiration!