PDA

View Full Version : Mounting rolling mill

tazdevilia
26-01-2017, 07:55 PM
Hi everyone.

I know this has been asked before but I am stuggling to find the topic.

I've had a rolling mill for over a year but have never used it since it needed bolting down.

The time has come where I have to get this functioning but I don't want to bolt it to my workbench as my workshop is in the cellar and I recently noticed some of my tools were starting to get a bit rusty.
I keep anything that can't possibly be allowed to rust in the house upstairs.

I remember some folks saying they bolted theirs to a piece of wood which they then clamp down. Dennis posted some pics of how he mounted his.

Please can you guys refresh my memory and tell me how you've mounted yours? Pics would be amazing.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Dennis
26-01-2017, 10:44 PM
As my name has cropped up, I should explain that when I started, the mill was treated as a piece of sculpture on the sideboard of our living room.

It was mounted on a thick offcut of a kitchen work surface with six rubber doorstops as feet, and two stout door handles to lift it by. For use it was temporarily lifted across to my workplace and then returned when finished with.

This taught me of necessity to roll in small increments, which happily gives better results. So when we moved house I was never tempted to change as space is always at a premium with fixed equipment. Much of my sheet and wire is rolled down from limited stock and offcuts, and my textures are mostly done by rolling.

My pictures show its present home, allowing the drawer to be used when the handle is out of the way. However if you have the space, go ahead and bolt it down. Dennis.

mizgeorge
26-01-2017, 11:31 PM
Along with most of my heavier equipment, mine is bolted to a worktop offcut and I just clamp it to a solid bench when I use it. I wish I had room for a separate bench for all of this kind of stuff, but I barely have space to store them let alone have working room!

tazdevilia
26-01-2017, 11:41 PM
As my name has cropped up, I should explain that when I started, the mill was treated as a piece of sculpture on the sideboard of our living room.

It was mounted on a thick offcut of a kitchen work surface with six rubber doorstops as feet, and two stout door handles to lift it by. For use it was temporarily lifted across to my workplace and then returned when finished with.

This taught me of necessity to roll in small increments, which happily gives better results. So when we moved house I was never tempted to change as space is always at a premium with fixed equipment. Much of my sheet and wire is rolled down from limited stock and offcuts, and my textures are mostly done by rolling.

My pictures show its present home, allowing the drawer to be used when the handle is out of the way. However if you have the space, go ahead and bolt it down. Dennis.
Perfect Dennis! Exactly what I needed!

I'm in the exact, same boat right now as I work from home. I need to be able to roll on any surface sturdy enough and my kitchen worktops are looking best right now.

But I also need it in my workshop, right next to my annealing station!

Portable is exactly what I need! A new cog first though as the main cog on mine is wonky!

tazdevilia
26-01-2017, 11:44 PM
Along with most of my heavier equipment, mine is bolted to a worktop offcut and I just clamp it to a solid bench when I use it. I wish I had room for a separate bench for all of this kind of stuff, but I barely have space to store them let alone have working room!
I'm in the same position I think. My entire first floor (ground floor) is workshop but that also happens to be my lounge and kitchen!

tazdevilia
26-01-2017, 11:45 PM
So how do you deal with the bolts sticking out underneath please?

china
27-01-2017, 04:19 AM
As Dennis has on his add some rubber feet to give clearance for the bolts or you can cut the bolts to length and counter sink or counter bore the underneath so they sit flush

mizgeorge
27-01-2017, 04:30 PM
I use pretty hefty bits of worktop cutoff, so countersink holes for the bolts. Then all I need is a pair of my beloved Irwin quick grips to clamp to any other surface - often the kitchen table. The board also makes it pretty easy to carry larger bits of equipment, which tend not to have very good handles!

art925
27-01-2017, 06:53 PM
In response to you damp issues in the cellar, I remember an old thread on the forum regarding how we all treat our tools coming up to winter, to prevent rust. As a solution, I suggest a dehumidifyer.

Dennis
27-01-2017, 09:13 PM
I've read that in Netherlands they just stick a finger in the dyke. Regards Dennis :~: