PDA

View Full Version : Sievert torch with needle head burner for melting silver

tazdevilia
17-01-2017, 02:31 PM
Hi guys, I want to upgrade from refillable butane torches to a Sievert.

I have found the Sievert Pro with needle head burner at a reasonable price but wonder if this head will give a big enough flame to melt casting grain and scrap.

Please can you tell me...

A) will this tip be good enough to melt silver?

B) if I need a different head, which one will I need and will I also need a different neck?

Thanks in advance x

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ps_bond
17-01-2017, 02:35 PM
Which tip? Model number would be good.

tazdevilia
17-01-2017, 02:39 PM
It has the 8842 tip. I think it's the exact same kit as cooksons 999 AKZ1 but this is £75 cheaper from Hamilton Gas Products in Belfast

ps_bond
17-01-2017, 02:48 PM
No, that tip is brilliant for soldering small objects but you aren't going to melt any significant amount of scrap with it. The 3941 is where I'd probably start as a burner for that task.
Hamilton Gas Products are pretty good.

tazdevilia
17-01-2017, 02:50 PM
Brilliant thank you. Do I need a different neck or will the neck supplied with pro 86 fit with 3941 head?

ps_bond
17-01-2017, 02:56 PM
From memory it's the 3511 neck you'll need.

tazdevilia
17-01-2017, 02:58 PM
Thank you so much. 😊

tazdevilia
26-01-2017, 08:01 PM
Please can I ask another question? My torch has now arrived and I am so impressed with the power on this baby!

The question is...

Aparently this torch can run on either butane or propane. Hamiltons have said I needed to use propane though. Why is this? Is it simply because propane burns cleaner than butane? Or has it got something to do with the regulator?

ps_bond
26-01-2017, 08:03 PM
The standard regulator usually comes with a bullnose/POL fitting, which fits propane cylinders; the norm with butane is more of a nut.
I should have said - get a gas spanner too, they're cheap and it's handy to have a dedicated spanner for the regs.

tazdevilia
26-01-2017, 08:13 PM
Yeah! Had to run out and get an adjustable one yesterday because the one in my tool box didn't quite stretch the jaws out far enough.

So all I need is a butane regulator to and I can use butane?

I've heard propane is a bit more volatile than butane and since my workshop is in the cellar, I'm a bit worried about 6kg of bomb in my house so was thinking of moving that outside and getting a smaller butane one for in the workshop. What's your thoughts Bond?

china
27-01-2017, 04:12 AM
do you have gas heating, gas cooking?, a gas cylinder treated with respect and given appropriate maintenance is no more a risk than your heating and cooking, inappropriate use and disregard for maintenance and safety is what turns them into bombs