PDA

View Full Version : End caps

Skieferins
13-01-2017, 07:19 PM
Hello,

Can anyone tell me how to can make end caps like these ? I have a doming block and doming punches but the best I can make, is a cap that has no sides aka a shallow cap.

Thank you98089809

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dennis
14-01-2017, 03:45 AM
You are asking too much of your metal to turn a disk into an end cap.

A simple way is to make a more shallow dome, or just use a flat disk, solder it to a piece of bought tubing, add a jump ring and trim the surplus.

Two other ways:
Pinch the end of some tubing closed with round pliers and add the jump ring. Or

Replace the reducing disk of a ring stretcher with a doming plate and using the base of the stretcher as an arbour press, to dome the end of the tubing. It helps to weaken the metal by cutting a few slots in the end first.

I haven't tried this, but you might be able to hold a piece of annealed tubiing with stout tweezers and lightly tap tap tap it in a doming block to close the end, if you cut a few slots first. Dennis.

Skieferins
15-01-2017, 12:19 AM
The ring stretcher and doming plate looks like something doable. Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

theresa
15-01-2017, 10:09 AM
Or use a half-drilled silver bead.
Have just been watching Charles Lewton-Brain turning tubing using a flex shaft. You could easily use this method to close the end and saw to length afterwards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XCop7QLQP8

metalsmith
15-01-2017, 10:40 AM
It should be quite possible to make a small hemisphere from a disc with your doming block. If this doesn't have enough depth, make and add a cylider / tube.

Alternatively, just seal the end of a piece of tube and round the edges by filing / sanding.