PDA

View Full Version : Our Class Project Last term. The Sequel.

Dennis
09-01-2017, 12:03 PM
My gamblers desk toy, a silver die, had been earmarked as a gift: http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8335

Only later did I learn that we would be having a joint exhibition of boxes with our ceramic department in the new year.

Not wanting to miss out, I set to and made yet another box using copper with a loose fitting lid and brass decorations.

Although I chose quite stout copper sheet, it became remarkably soft and difficult to handle once heated. For convenience, the brass bow was not fitted until after finishing, using a tubular rivet.

Judging by the recent competition, bows are a favourite feature just now. Mine was made in the autumn half term, so we must all be connected by telepathy.

Size of box: approx. 52.00mm square. Sheet thickness, 0.90mm roll textured.
Decorations made from 2.00mm diameter brass wire rolled down to 1.00mm.
Finish: two coats of Everbrite. Dennis.

Petal
09-01-2017, 06:04 PM
Dennis, that is gorgeous, especially the bow and the different colour. Love it!

ShinyLauren
09-01-2017, 06:24 PM
Beautifully made as always Dennis - I love the colour of copper.

Dennis
09-01-2017, 07:49 PM
Thank you Jules and Lauren. Dennis

enigma
09-01-2017, 11:10 PM
Glorious Dennis! I so love your work!

josef1
09-01-2017, 11:40 PM
great work Dennis love the colours

Wallace
10-01-2017, 09:52 AM
Boxing clever! That is totally fantastic Dennis.

LydiaNiz
10-01-2017, 10:04 AM
lovely job Dennis, can I be nosy and ask what the texture is (might be glaringly obvious, but I've no idea where my glasses are)

mizgeorge
10-01-2017, 12:19 PM
That's just delicious Dennis. Beautifully executed :)

Dennis
10-01-2017, 05:51 PM
Thank you all for your kind comments. The small print says the box must have contents, so I am still hunting down some wrapped boiled sweets.

Lydia, it's a roll print using flowery net curtain fabric, but I made two passes so as to overprint the pattern. Dennis.

Faith
10-01-2017, 11:37 PM
That's really pretty Dennis, it would be lovely for a dressing table.

I noticed your gift album and had been meaning to ask how you made your origami bird. I ask because a while ago I "accidentally" bought PMC paper, rather than regular PMC, not being able to make what I wanted I researched what it is for and the answer - mainly origami. But then I found u can't torch fire it so had to give up and send it back!

Which is a long way of asking was that how your bird was made? :)

Faith

Dennis
11-01-2017, 02:19 PM
Thank you Fay. This is the link to my origami bird nest thread: http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6036&highlight=origami.

The paper bird was deconstructed and made by scoring and folding in four parts: the combined wings, the tail, the neck and the head. Then they were then assembled and soldered onto a post which was inserted into a tube in the tray. Dennis.

Faith
11-01-2017, 09:06 PM
Thanks Dennis, ah I see, he doesn't look like he's made of so many parts, very well executed!

I'm still tempted to try the PMC paper method one day, bit of a cheat I know but I think it might be quite a satisfying project!

Faith