PDA

View Full Version : Sizing for spinner ring

Maria
30-12-2016, 08:08 AM
This may be a stupid question , but is there a way to measure the size of the ring that spins when making a spinner ring? Mine always seems to be a bit hit and miss !

enigma
30-12-2016, 11:03 AM
I make the base ring then use a plastic ring gauge to measure for the spinner ring.
I make it slightly small then stretch to the required size- I use a ring stretcher but you can use a ring mandrel and tap it down if you don't have one.

Maria
30-12-2016, 01:35 PM
Thanks very much .... Never even thought of that ... Common sense

enigma
30-12-2016, 01:46 PM
They are generally thin so easy to stretch- just keep popping it on and off until you get it exactly as you want it :)

Maria
30-12-2016, 02:40 PM
Saw a couple of you tube videos that were adding this and multiplying that , math not my strong point ..... so carried on wrapping wire around the ring to get the size and using guess work , but finding a lot of the time I was making the spinning ring too big ......... I have a plastic ring gauge and never even thought of doing that ..

enigma
30-12-2016, 04:02 PM
Im too lazy for maths lol

Eric LeClair
22-05-2017, 11:08 PM
Saw a couple of you tube videos that were adding this and multiplying that , math not my strong point ..... so carried on wrapping wire around the ring to get the size and using guess work , but finding a lot of the time I was making the spinning ring too big ......... I have a plastic ring gauge and never even thought of doing that ..

Maria, first there is no such thing as a stupid question. Second, 100% agree with Engima. You can also visit your local university or college and use a 3d printer to create a proper demo / prototype of your spinner ring. Any student would love to show it.