PDA

View Full Version : Big "HI" from Cheshire

TATS
16-12-2016, 09:10 AM
Hi Everyone

I am new to the world of Jewellery making and I have been very impressed with some of the creations that are on this forum. I assume I am in the minority being a male and it is mens jewellery I want to learn to make. Leather/paracord bracelets, tie clips, cufflinks etc etc and also I would like to restore old jewellery at a later date when my skills develop.

Advice, encouragement and criticism are all welcome.

Andy

ps_bond
16-12-2016, 09:43 AM
Can't remember if I posted this before -

Kangaroo, mystery braid, heavy slider (1.2mm IIRC) which was fun to bend, box clasp. Dyed black because that's what they wanted, while I was trying to get them to stick to natural...

Not sure about silver fittings for paracord, personally - braided silk, perhaps, but I'd feel that the low cost of the material worked against any precious metal & labour.

TATS
16-12-2016, 10:03 AM
Can't remember if I posted this before -

Kangaroo, mystery braid, heavy slider (1.2mm IIRC) which was fun to bend, box clasp. Dyed black because that's what they wanted, while I was trying to get them to stick to natural...

Not sure about silver fittings for paracord, personally - braided silk, perhaps, but I'd feel that the low cost of the material worked against any precious metal & labour.

Just had a quick look at your FB page and you have some really nice pieces. I would like to get to the point where I can perhaps sell/display what I have made, but before any of that, I need to learn the tools and techniques.

ps_bond
16-12-2016, 11:14 AM
Learn to use a piercing saw and file first would be my suggestion. Then soldering. With those as core skills, everything else adds on top.

What do you make at the moment?

(And thank you, BTW! :) )

TATS
16-12-2016, 12:05 PM
I would like to make anything at the moment. I would be very happy if I could get a leather Bolo bracelet made that I can wear just so I can say "I made that" lol, but eventually I would like to make items in gold like tie clips, pins, cuff links etc etc. Big learning curve though.

CJ57
16-12-2016, 06:40 PM
Hi Andy, welcome.
There are quite a few men on here actually but I don't know how many make jewellery for men, that has been a complaint from my customers in the past!