PDA

View Full Version : earwires and posts help please.

Rustic Charm
12-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Hi ya, i'm thinking about making or at least trying to make my own earwires and posts, what thickness wire would be best????? and any hints and tips on making them???

caroleallen
12-09-2009, 07:34 PM
.8 sterling is best but you'll need to harden them once they're made by either twisting (posts), burnishing, hammering or tumbling. My tip for making posts is to have a small piece of 1cm mdf or similar, drill a hole in it and use it to make sure the posts are all the same length.

Lindyloo
12-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Ke? MDF? Explain

(Faulty Towers)

caroleallen
12-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Sorry. If you drill a hole in a small offcut of something (like MDF) that's 1cm thick, once you've made the earrings you can put the post through the hole and cut it off, thereby ensuring each post is 1cm long.

Rustic Charm
12-09-2009, 08:21 PM
thanx will give that a try, what butterflies/scrolls would be best??

Emerald
12-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Hi Bridget, i am all for making ear wires but the posts i buy are from the bullion dealers as they have a small circle at the bottom and this just gives the post that bit extra security when soldered onto the back of your creation, they also have a ridge cut into them so that the scroll is more secure when on the ear, saying that i ordered completely the wrong thing in my last order #-o

julie
13-09-2009, 07:13 AM
Sorry. If you drill a hole in a small offcut of something (like MDF) that's 1cm thick, once you've made the earrings you can put the post through the hole and cut it off, thereby ensuring each post is 1cm long.

what a great time saving tip ... :Y:

bustagasket
13-09-2009, 07:23 AM

So simple but so effective!! thank you :D