PDA

View Full Version : Next step for beginner

Pierat
13-12-2016, 07:52 AM
Hi :)

I've been playing around with beads for a little while now and I'm excited to learn more about making jewellery. What is a good route to take next? What type of crafting, clay, stamping perhaps?

Thanks!

Goldsmith
13-12-2016, 08:51 AM
Hi :)

I've been playing around with beads for a little while now and I'm excited to learn more about making jewellery. What is a good route to take next? What type of crafting, clay, stamping perhaps?

Thanks!

The design is always the first job.
Then if you haven't done so already, treat yourself to a nice tool kit or buy some starter tools, when I started making I was told to learn how to use hand tools on a bench peg. So I spent months learning how to saw pierce and use needle files, I would also learn how to use shaped pliers to bend wires into shape. Then comes the learning of soldering and shaping metals with hammers, punches and cutting tools.
This would make a fine start;
http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Workbench-Tool-Kit-prcode-997-1003

James

Dennis
13-12-2016, 11:00 AM
Well, you have a comprehensive answer from James, but a gentle transition to metal work is to make a few copper or silver beads to insert into the row. This sends the message that it is a hand made item.

Beads can be made from two halves in a doming block, or even on a rubber block, using doming punches. some are just a round or oval rim, made from strip or wire, with a top and bottom added.

However you will need the basic tools and also learn to solder. A good textbook is all you need to start up and then ask here if you get stuck. Dennis.