PDA

View Full Version : Kiln question

fi79
12-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Hi!

Sorry if this isn't in the right place - feel free to move it!

I'm on the verge of buying a kiln for firing PMC (looking at the Paragon SC2). I'm just wondering what else I need to buy at the same time. Gloves are a given - but what kind are best? I'm also getting an additonal shelf and posts so I can stack. But I also keep seeing reference to kiln wash - what is this and what is it for? Do I need it? If I don't know what this is am I really ready to buy a kiln? Do I need anything else?

Agh - so many questions! Help!

caroleallen
12-09-2009, 07:26 PM
What are you planning to use it for?

caroleallen
12-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Oh sorry. Just noticed you said PMC. I'm sure a PMC expert will be along to help soon.

Di Sandland
12-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Okay - I'm just waiting for my Paragon SC2 to be delivered.

AS far as I understand it, kiln wash is for when you're doing enamelling and stuff. Its to stop stuff sticking to the kiln walls and floor, which doesn't happen with metal clay.

MuranoSilver
12-09-2009, 09:35 PM
You don't really need gloves unless you're doing enamelling. PMC is put in cold and you take it out when the kiln has cooled down. The temp inside is on the display at the front.
If there aren't any stones etc and it's plain PMC then I sometimes lift the pieces out while the kiln is still quite hot. I do this using a largish enamelling fork. (Two prongs on a long metal rod with a wooden handle.)
If you're going to do this then putting a heat proof surface at the front of your kiln wouldn't be a bad idea. I use thin firing blocks that you'd do torch firing on..
The posts are put at the corners of the firing shelf allowing you to slide the shelves in and out. Though waiting is just as easy.

If you have a lovely SC2 it probably won't be long before you're trying enamel on PMC (the two work really well together) ;)
If you want to do bronze clay etc then you'd need the firing pan and carbon (available from PMC suppliers)

Hope that helps
Nic x

Di Sandland
12-09-2009, 11:28 PM
If you have a lovely SC2 it probably won't be long before you're trying enamel on PMC (the two work really well together

And guess who couldn't resist stocking up with some gorgeous enamels!

fi79
13-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Thanks for your replies everyone! :Y:

Nic - I'm off to do an "Adding colour to your clay" class in a couple of weeks where we're going to be using polymer clay, resin and enamel. If it's anything like the other classes I've done I'll become quickly addicted and want to do more so...

I reckon I'll get the kiln and extra shelf kit and gloves (i'm both impatient and clumsy - not a good mix!) just now and leave the rest until next pay day.

Right, off to place an order!!!!!! :~:

bustagasket
13-09-2009, 08:33 AM
Thanks for your replies everyone! :Y:

Nic - I'm off to do an "Adding colour to your clay" class in a couple of weeks where we're going to be using polymer clay, resin and enamel. If it's anything like the other classes I've done I'll become quickly addicted and want to do more so...

I reckon I'll get the kiln and extra shelf kit and gloves (i'm both impatient and clumsy - not a good mix!) just now and leave the rest until next pay day.

Right, off to place an order!!!!!! :~:

Lol i am like that with everything new i see lol, pmc course with out lovely nic on 27th and i would love to learn enamelling and that diachronic glass or whatever they call it and and and and.............ahhhh the list is endless :D

Looking frward to seeing what ou make with your kiln :D

MuranoSilver
13-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Sounds like a fun days course, please let us know how you get on and show us loads of pictures!
OMG sooooo exciting when your kiln comes!
nic x

fi79
13-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Just done it!!!!!!!!!!!! Woohoo!!! :D:-D:dance: Gulp (lot of money!!) =:-O

bustagasket
13-09-2009, 09:16 AM

deep breath .......................
and relax

Di Sandland
13-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Scary, eh?

Solunar Silver Studio
13-09-2009, 10:07 AM
I'm not jealous...I'm not jealous...I'm not jealous...I'm not jealous...I'm not jealous...I'm not jealous...I'm not jealous...I'm not jealous...I'm not jealous...I'm not jealous...I'm not jealous...I'm not jealous...I'm not jealous...I'm not jealous...I'm not jealous...I'm not jealous...I'm not jealous...

Small is beautiful...Small is beautiful...Small is beautiful...Small is beautiful...Small is beautiful...Small is beautiful...Small is beautiful...Small is beautiful...Small is beautiful...Small is beautiful...Small is beautiful...

:'(....:'(....:'(....:'(....

Solunar Silver Studio
13-09-2009, 10:13 AM
OOerrr!! I think I've just been deleted for spamming!!! All I wanted to say was I'm not jealous...Small is beautiful...:'(

I just might have said it all a dozen or so times over and over!!!:-"

I KEEP telling you...I am an innocent!!!!0:-) I don't understand computers!

By the way....could it be arranged for the notifications of things 'not quite right' to be displayed on screen for more than a nano second. By the time I realise something different is on the screen it has vanished and I have no idea what it said!!

Di Sandland
13-09-2009, 10:19 AM
I don't think we've deleted you Bee. If you hit the submit button more than once the system sometimes does it tho.

Ah - I see what you did there! Tut, tut old chap. Machines don't know that you're pure as the driven snow - not like we do, dear

Solunar Silver Studio
13-09-2009, 10:30 AM
So what bit didn't it like then?? How many times can I skweeem and skweeeem when I'm having a paddy before it swipes me into oblivion??? :'(
....and do you know what I mean about the screen not being on long enough to actually read?? ...or is it just that I am a slow reader??

Di Sandland
13-09-2009, 10:41 AM
I do know what you mean.

Perhaps if we write slower, we could read it slower

CyberPaddy66
13-09-2009, 01:39 PM
How many times can I skweeem and skweeeem when I'm having a paddy before it swipes me into oblivion???

Should I be feeling nervous at statements like this or am I just being Paranoid :eek:

Solunar Silver Studio
13-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Oh! Tut tut Sir Innuendo...I know not what you mean!!

(Everyone else on here knows I am innocent!!0:-) ...see....look.... Di says I'm as pure as the driven snow...and she's a moderater so she MUST be right.:D)

The Dragon
13-09-2009, 06:10 PM
I'm trying really, really hard not to give in to temptation and buy a paragon kiln from my savings! [-X

But like Su said there are so many things to learn ...and so many beautiful techniques to try ... and it has so many additional uses ... and it would speed up a lot of designs cos I can be doing othings while its cooking .... and ..... will you please stop laughing out there I'm doing my best. :dance::rofl::dance:

fi79
13-09-2009, 07:21 PM
I'm trying really, really hard not to give in to temptation and buy a paragon kiln from my savings! [-X

But like Su said there are so many things to learn ...and so many beautiful techniques to try ... and it has so many additional uses ... and it would speed up a lot of designs cos I can be doing othings while its cooking .... and ..... will you please stop laughing out there I'm doing my best.

I know what you mean Annie - first I thought about an Ultralite - then I thought if I'm spending that amount I might as well get the Minikiln so I can fire more at once then I thought but what if I want to try bronze or copper clay? So I eventually talked myself into the more expensive option. Well, I've always had expensive tastes!!!! :D

Green Beetle
13-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Speaking of kilns - does anyone have any experience (good or bad) of the microwave kiln?

Lindyloo
13-09-2009, 08:04 PM
What's a microwave kiln (says with eyes wide open)?

MuranoSilver
13-09-2009, 08:19 PM
The topic of Microwave Kilns comes up every now and again...
Microwave Kilns are ceramic based and made from the same material used to line the normal Kilns.

To quote Tim McCreight (who wrote what is pretty much the metalsmiths bible)
"One immediate problem is it is very difficult to know how long to run it. If you consider that most microwave
popcorn packages say something like "Heat for one to six minutes, depending on your microwave," you get an
idea of how different the units can be. If you are making a dozen identical pieces, and don't mind melting or
under firing the first ten, you can determine the proper time for that unique shape and get those last two right.
Not an ideal arrangement."

For someone new to silver clay, I'd suggest a good torch would be more reliable. PLUS once those hot metal gasses
have vented through the top into the microwave itself, you shouldn't then use if for food...

The pros:
1) Cheap initial outlay

The Cons:
1) You contaminate your microwave
2) It's not suitable for hollow forms
3) No temperature control or way of viewing
4) Can melt you pieces as each microwave is different

All in all I'd save up and buy something like the Ultralite Kiln
(you can see one HERE (http://www.silverclay.co.uk/shki.htm)) or save even more and buy a small
Paragon, Prometheus or Evenheat...

In the mean time good torch control would probably do for a lot of pieces
Nic x

Lindyloo
13-09-2009, 08:36 PM
oohhhh... (heart sinks again)